Windows Screen of Death

Hello@tous

New to the forum :) 

I'm facing a solidworks simulation problem that crashes the Windows 10, that's been for 1 or 2 months, I want to specify that the machine in question is weak:( but these are simulations that I used to do without worries, or even much more complex or bulky,

Knowing that I tried to cancel the updates and a restore but in vain:(

Thanks in advance 

images_3.png

Hello and welcome

The version of your Solidworks would also be welcome.

The first thing to check is the material condition of the machine. Is it maintained, the interior (CPU Radiator, RAM Modules, Graphics Card, Power Supply, Fans) free of dust accumulation?

When everything is clean, test the simulation again.

If it fails, check the RAM: https://www.jcbtechno.com/tester-sa-ram-sous-windows-10

2 Likes

Hello

As said @Sylk you have to start with the maintenance of the machine, with the return of sunny days the components overheat faster.

1 Like

Hola, I got the wrong button;) 

The issue is still unresolved 

Ah... OK. But have you cleaned the machine and tested the RAM?

Yes the test is underway, it seems to take a while:) 

The thing is that the problem is random, once you get to a simulation, the problem will persist no matter the attempts, redo the simulation from scratch, there it works (for the moment), reload simulations already done, there it blocks, and yet SW(18) works perfectly even with more or less large assemblies,

I'll keep you posted after the test,

Thank you again, 

Apparently the diagnosis did not report anything as an anomaly, I also checked  the temperatures, are also below the bar:

• CPU 67, 70 max for core.
  • Graphic 53.
  • Ssd 36 deg. 

If you have any other proposals, I'm interested ;) 

OK.

A good habit to have (whether in terms of security, performance or stability) is the emptying of the paging memory (this is virtual memory) which can end up containing viruses but also errors or edge*l which can cause slowness and other bugs and conflicts. Emptying it will allow you to start from a clean and blank file.

To do this, you have to open the registry editor (Windows+R then enter regedit and validate) and go to the address:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Double-click on ClearPageFileAtShutdown and go from 0 to 1 and then validate.

Restart the computer.

As its name suggests, when quitting windows it will empty the paging file. This more or less extends the duration of the closure, so don't worry. If for your patience this duration is much too long to be supported at each stop, after the restart you can switch the value back to 0, and only do the operation again from time to time.

This simple manipulation often solves a lot of problems. It's never a luxury.

1 Like

Can you detail the configuration of your machine: laptop or desktop especially

While you're at cleaning, it's sometimes a good idea to unplug or reconnect the additional components/boards.

Seen the message: have you visited this page of Microsoft: Bad system config Info ?

1 Like

Yes @stefbeno when I was talking about cleaning it meant taking out the cards/ram. But you do well to specify, it may not have been so implicit.

Hi all

@Sylk , I didn't know how to empty the page files system, thanks for the info.
Do you know if the result is the same as during a reboot? Or is it even more effective?

Hello Pierre

It's not really comparable. A reboot will erase the session's temporary files and empty the RAM, which is certainly very efficient, but will not affect the virtual memory, which is an accumulation of many sessions. I'll let you imagine the potential box that it ends up becoming. Windows uses this file until it is full and then modifies it by deleting the content it considers obsolete but only to the extent of its need at the moment (basically if it needs 1GB it will delete 1GB of old content), which means that this file is never really empty or clean. Some viruses also come to live there. Hence the interest (the necessity) to carry out the manual manipulation regularly. And not to spoil anything, for this manip the reboot is essential, so 2 birds with one stone. A clean boot + a clean session.

Depending on how a software works, it can have more or less impact of course, but in general, the computer as a whole breathes much better with a clean page file.