Homogeneous material removal (-0.02mm) over an entire workpiece

Hello

I'm looking for a feature in solidworks that allows me to extrude a 0.02mm layer on all the surfaces of a part. Is such a function available on this software?

If not, can I use the ladder function to perform this material removal homogeneously?

Thank you in advance,

Have a nice day.

Hello, try to see if the face move function can suit you but be careful, there are parts  like in my example in red, I always have a 20mm dimension in the end while we can expect it to be degreased too.

As for the scaling , it also changes the position of the axes in relation to each other if there are many holes for example.

If it's for molding to compensate for the retrain, why not, but not sure that it's your case which may be for a surface treatment?

1 Like

Hello

Could you put us a screen print of the room or would you like to apply this material removal?

1 Like

Hello

Here is a method that requires a geometry of its own:)

Put yourself in wireframe mode, select the "Face" filter and select all the faces of your room in a window (The wireframe mode and the filter allow you not to forget any faces)

Make "Offset Surface" by 0.02 mm on the right side 

Select the surface, and do "Surface Thicken". In the menu, select the option "Create a solid from the closed volume"

And there you have it, you can hide the first volume and the surface body

Practice on a simple piece!

Cdlt

Alan

6 Likes

It's funny, my basic idea was the same as @acombier's but I would have done a removal of material (so without going through the thickening box).

1 Like

Hello

as proposed by @FUZ3D I would use the "Move faces" function, even if it meant doing several steps depending on the complexity of the part.

@FUZ3D, it's normal that the dimension of 20 doesn't change because you move the faces 0.2mm towards the inside of the material, so your hole radius increases by 0.2mm and you move your measuring face by 0.2 towards the holes. So it cancels out.

Hello, thank you for your help.

So I used the move face feature to achieve what I wanted to do.

Thank you again and have a good day.