Removal of material on a dome (SW 2015

Hello

I'm looking to make a hollow dome with solidworks 2015, the idea is to make a hollow dome with 1.8 mm thick walls.

I have no problem creating the dome itself, but I can't seem to hollow it out, my use of the material removal function makes a hole and only a ring the diameter of the dome survives...

The part thus designed, will be printed with a 3D printer...

Could you help me properly hollow out a dome with SolidWorks...?

Meric in advance.

I forgot to specify some information:

- Base diameter of 76 mm

- 60 mm height 

- wall thickness 1.8 mm

And why don't you make your dome via a revolution

2 Likes

Hello

Use the shell function. Look for it in the wizard at the top right in Solidwoks.

6 Likes

GT22 and AC427 are right.

Just to make the job easier, if you do a revulotion: make slim function

1 Like

Sorry, I'm really new to SolidWorks.

To try to make my dome with the revolution tool, I made a circle with the diameter I want via sketch, then  I click on boss with revolution, then I click on the circle and the wizard asks me for the axis of revolution, but I don't see how to put it...

I also tried via the shell function (after making my dome with the dome function) the result is not what it takes.... (captured in PC)

dome.png

As we are going to/cannot give you a distance SW training, for the basic functions I invite you to do the tutorial integrated into SW (help section).

I'm not sure that using the function to make a half sphere is the best option.

I found a hollow dome already made on the internet, but I would like to change the dimensions of the base of the dome, the height of the dome...

Is there a feature for that?

Hello

What version of SW are you in, can you give us a plan so that we can make you an example that you can study.

may the force be with you.

1 Like

Solidworks 2015,

I managed to make a hollow dome (image in PJ) via the shell function, but I would like to make a 1 cm border around the dome.

The problem is that after creating the border (1.8 mm thick) the hollow of the dome disappears and when I try to redo the hollow with the shell function but it fails with a construction error...

domecreuxsansbordure.png

For the border, stand on the front plane (or on it), make a rectangle of 10 mm and the height you want (the progil of your border), then make a revolution (displaying the temporary axes with the front T key).

1 Like

Hello

The simplest is to make a thin revolution, a sketch a function.

may the force be with you.

dome.jpg
1 Like

See this piece for example

if it suits it's under SW 2012

attached file SW 2012

The curve of the dome was made via a spline so adjustable at will ;-)

1.8 offset

a horizontal line  and cutting out the surpluses 

The same goes for vertical

@+ ;-)

dome_hbarneoud.sldprt

Thanks for the piece, you should do the same with 100 mm diameter for the base of the dome (110 mm rim included) and 60 mm height for the dome and still 1.8 mm wall thickness...

But I can't change the dimensions the way I want...

Could you try to modify the room?

it would be useful for me to move forward...

thank you in advance

It's super simple

just take the first sketch, so sketch 1

and to modify the rating and check the adjustments

Look carefully at how I proceed

but there are several ways to get the same result  ;-)

and the attached file still SW 2012

@+ ;-)

dome_hbarneoud_dia_100.sldprt

Thank you very much for the help, but I don't understand why on the screenshot there are reborts on the dome, and not in the attached file.

Is it a versioning problem or is it me who opens it badly...?

Thank you again.

I just reopened my file

and I  attach a section and the file

dome_hbarneoud_dia_100.sldprt

Good evening

Sorry to ask again, but my field is embedded computer development, not CAD with Solidworks... And I really have to move forward on this project so I can't afford to devote time to it (it will be a part for a self-piloted drone for which I do the electronics and the prog info...).

I would need a 150 mm diameter version with a 15 mm rim (not included in the 150 mm) and a 60 mm high version with a 2 mm wall.

But despite dozens of attempts, I can't do it. I used solidworks during my high school years in Engineering Science, but it was a few years ago...

Thank you in advance.

Hello

In the room that GT22 gives you there are two color icons in the creation tree. You double click on it and the sides will appear. Now you modify them as you see fit to have the part you want.

1 Like