EPDM: "use case" for records contained in virtual assemblies

Hello

We work a lot with virtual assemblies. We use it to make functional sub-assemblies (fixed part / moving part) or to cut the link with respect to a 'standard' sub-assembly (we integrate a standard sub-assembly of our library into the assembly, we make it virtual and then we modify it to meet the need in the assembly). This also simplifies the copies of assemblies (no problem of renaming subsets).

On the other hand, when I import an assembly containing virtual subassemblies into EPDM, I realized that EPDM does not consider being part of a virtual subassembly as a use case for the part/assembly (it does not even return the assembly containing the virtual subassemblies).

Is there an EPDM setting that I missed?

Knowing that now almost 100% of our assemblies contain only 2 virtual subassemblies, this would mean that it would be totally impossible for us to use this EPDM function (quite a shame since it's one of the big advantages of EPDM)

Thank you for your help

epdm_assemblage_virtuel.pdf

I didn't understand the point of virtual assembly?

@flegendre:

The interest of virtual assembly is to have only 3 constraints to manage between 2 virtual assemblies instead of the 500 constraints to manage between 150 bulk parts in your assembly. We manage open/closed positions... via the configs so the less constraints you have in your assembly the better off you are.

We also have "standard" sub-assemblies where we reuse 80% of the parts without modification and where we change 20% of the parts (length configurations, materials). Managing your assemblies virtually means that you don't have to register assemblies with a name that are not managed in real life. It also avoids subassembly renaming errors when making a complete assembly copy.

We are therefore a little far from the original idea of virtual parts (virtual part = pre-study / estimate where we do not yet know what we will really do as a design)

We also have mechanically welded assemblies (a sldasm assembly with a pilot sketch that sizes/positions parts). The fact of going virtual for the documents greatly simplifies the management of copies and lightens the content of the directories.

Before virtual: a drawing, an assembly, a directory with the same name as the assembly and 10 or 20 parts (with the name of the directory contained in the file name) in this directory

After the transition to virtual on the parts: a drawing, an assembly

1 Like

Hello, I would be tempted to say that this is the normal behavior. See this link:

http://blog.capinc.com/2010/08/virtual-components-in-the-land-of-pdm/

Edit: there is an option in the PDM Workgroup, I don't know if it's applicable to Enterprise PDM:

You can also display virtual components in the Where Used tab. Click Options (SolidWorks Explorer toolbar). On the  References/Where Used tab, under Lookfor, select Virtual components.

@froussel,

It's interesting this way of doing things, I'd like to see an example or 2...

@flegendre

Attached is a typical tree structure of one of our products (valve for industry).

In yellow I highlighted the virtual assemblies

In the main assembly we have only 2 virtual sub-assemblies and therefore only 6 constraints (easier to manage open/closed configurations..)

arborescence_type.pdf
One solution could be to create a macro that will loop over the entire vault and insert the result in an Excel file for example.

@froussel

What do you want to see in the EPDM nomenclature? The virtual subset or the components that make it up?

If the latter is the case, which "BOM option" is selected in your virtual assembly configuration? To do this, open the virtual assembly and go to the Configuration Manager, right-click on the name of the configuration used (probably "Default") and then Properties.

Try "playing" this option to see the behavior on EPDM at the level of use cases.

See attached image.

screenshot1201.jpg

@Benoit LF

Thanks for the idea but these parameters only play on the nomenclatures of solidworks drawings.

EPDM BOMs and use cases are managed by EPDM via the SQL database and have nothing to do with plan BOMs.

I have just discovered the tool for comparing the EPDM nomenclatures of an assembly between its different revisions/versions, it is simply bluffing (you can see the addition/removal of components, the change of configs, the revisions on the different components ....). This gives an ultra-clear and ultra-precise view of the product's evolution.

After questioning my reseller it is a known EPDM bug.

It is registered under the SPR number 540146:

"The 'Where Used' tab for a SWx part that is inserted into an internal sub-assembly does not point to its referencing top-level assembly file"

It's in "customer impact: high" so solidworks may do something in 2 or 3 years...

Additional clarification:

It would be possible to make queries on the sql database to get out the use cases (see S-058284 of the solidworks database or S-0344444 which is similar):

A priori the SQL query can be launched via the explorer of the local view of the vault (in tools/report builder).

Attached is the sql query as given by SW in S-058284: it doesn't work as it does when changing the extension from .sql to .crp, the file is either too old (old epdm version) or with syntax mistakes.

For the moment I can't test but we will try to set it up with our dealer

where_part_used.sql