Absorbed Sketches in a Symmetrical Part - SolidWorks

When making a syletric part, the propertyManager offers both Absorbed Sketches and Unabsorbed Sketches as options.

What is it exactly?

Hello Alain,

when you choose absorbed sketches; all the sketches follow in the symmetrical piece and when you choose not absorbed; There are just the sketches after unfolding that follow (in my case of a part for the test) and if you don't select anything there is no sketch that follows in the sym part.

I think it's to see and control the dimensions in the sym room because you have access to the sketches as well as the dimensions but not modiable because grayed out (controlled)

http://help.solidworks.com/2016/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_DVE_IMPORT_FEATURES.htm?format=P&value=1

2 Likes

Yes @ ac cobra, but why can we choose absorbed sketches AND unabsorbed sketches then?

We would have optional radio buttons between the 2 cases.

There, we have boxes to tick, so choose the 2.

The Symmetrical Part feature creates a symmetrical version of the existing part. This is a good method to create a left and right version of the part. Since the symmetrical version is derived from the original version, the two parts are always in correspondence. This type of symmetry produces a different result than with a Symmetry Repeat. To create a symmetric derived part: 1. In an open part document, click on the face or plane of the model to which you want to mirror. 2. Click Insert, Symmetrical Part. A new room window appears. The Insert Part PropertyManager appears. 3. In the PropertyManager, select one or more objects. Volumetric bodies. Bsp; Inserts the volumes. Surface bodies. The surfaces are transferred from the original part to the new part. Axes. Transfers axis information. Plans. All plans are transferred from the original room to the new room. Thread representations. Transfers thread representations. Absorbed sketches. Inserts the absorbed sketches from the inserted part.

Unabsorbed sketches. Inserts unabsorbed sketches from the inserted part. Custom properties. Transfers any custom properties that have been set for the part whose symmetry you are creating. Coordinate systems. Inserts the coordinate system of the inserted part into the derived part. You can use the coordinates of the two parts to create a constraint by selecting Locate Part under Launch Move dialog box and aligning the axes of the coordinate systems. Model dimensions. Imports the model dimensions from the part inserted to the symmetrical part. Drilling Support data. Transfers data about holes created using the Source Part Helper so that it is available in the drawings of the derived part. 4. If you want to change the features of the symmetric part independently without affecting the original 10-31-2016 2012 SolidWorks Symmetrical Part http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Mirror_Part.htm?format=P&value= 2/2, click Break Link with Original Part under Link. You can also break the link to the original part later by listing the external references of the symmetrical part and selecting Break All. Once the link with the original part is broken, it cannot be restored. 5. Click . The symmetry of the part appears. 

1 Like

@gt22: This doesn't shed too much light on the notion of absorbed / not absorbed sketch.

I don't think you'll find better explanations than gt22 or me because we can't find much about it and it seems to me to be quite vague as options....

1 Like

does tests 

visualizes, analyzes compares

and gives conclusions

This is the best way to understand the why and how

@+

1 Like

Hello

Unless I'm mistaken:

• Absorbed: Sketch absorbed by a function and therefore not visible directly in the tree structure of the original part
  • Not absorbed: Sketch not used for a function (extrusion/removal of material, etc.)
2 Likes

Interesting that @ Cyril.f!

I'll test it

I had forgotten my question a little

But after checking, that's what @Cyril.f said

The absorbed sketches are the ones that the functions "use"

Whereas unabsorbed sketches are sketches where no functions have been put on them.

Here is the result on the symmetrical part: