Is it possible to save SolidWorks files in an earlier version?

Hello

It's all in the question: Is it possible to save SolidWorks files in an earlier version?

I found a few answers saying that it's not possible but it's a bit old and I think that maybe there is a tool (myCADtools for example) to do it.

The idea is to save files in a version prior to ours (2017) to be able to communicate with partners on projects.

Thank you

Antho

Hello, we can't necessarily but on the other hand you can save in native formats!! The problem is the new functions that an old version would not know, if solid opened the file, it could crash for not recognizing functions... To see the versions to come...

Cdt

G.

1 Like

Hello

To my knowledge, there will be no evolution on this side. The only possibility currently is to open the files of the n+1 version by the n-1 version in SP5 (dead body but possible reconstruction by featureworks) 

4 Likes

It's a shame, I understand for the functions that would not be supported by an old version but with files including only basic functions it would be great!

We will have to exclude suppliers on the project that we are concerned about because we have to send and receive native SolidWorks with a complete creation tree without dead volume for management and modification.

This limits the level of native file exchange because both parties must have the same version of the software, and if one changes the other will also have to change or have several versions...

1 Like

This is the commercial policy of DS among other things, but guaranteeing a bug-free operation from one version to another would require too much work. The files include a whole bunch of parameters related to the functions used and as some are heavily revised from one version to another, it's guaranteed to crash.

The exercise would have limits anyway (up to which lower version to guarantee stability).

1 Like

Confirmed by our consultant to my colleague in parallel.

I understand that technically and commercially it's not easy but it would have been practical in our case.

Is your supplier not under maintenance?

Why wouldn't he install a newer version?

1 Like

I don't know because it's not me who is there on this subject but I don't think so because it's a small company. The problem will be that if one of the 2 changes the version the other must also change for it to work!

Last question related to this, the intermediate Service Pack "SP" versions work in the same way or the files are exchangeable between them without worry?

No incompatibility with SPs on the same version.

1 Like

OK, thank you, that's reassuring.

It is quite possible to have several versions of SW coexist on the same machine and without paying extra. I don't know if it's accessible to everyone but via this link (provided by Lynkoa) http://www.lynkoa.com/store/fr/telechargement-solidworks.html, you could load SW images of all versions.
After that, you have to be meticulous not to mix it up (ideally one shortcut per client to the right version of SW) and a good daily backup.

1 Like

This page is not found at home: http://www.lynkoa.com/store/fr/telechargement-solidworks.html

In any case, our files are all in 2017 and they are the start of the project and we will not be able to give them to our possible partner who is in previous version.

This would only allow you to open files from your home, but not the other way around.

Making two versions of SW coexist is possible but to my knowledge not recommended because there are still risks of instability, not to mention that from one version to another the certified cg drivers are not necessarily the same.

Indeed, as I have pointed out, the link unfortunately no longer works.

@Antho: Your subcontractor could install the 2017 version... If he is under contract, he can do the update.

@Cyril.f: I've had between 3 and 5 versions (soon 6 or even 7) on my machine for a few years without any particular problems. Indeed, sometimes you have to juggle with the drivers (especially since SW2016).