Unfolded state

Hi everyone

Here I am looking to make a part for a client and for the first time the boilermaker asks me for a DXF of the unfolded. Function that I have never used. I've watched tutorial videos but I'm having a hard time finding my way around. I made my piece I think correctly but I don't understand how to create my unfolded afterwards.

I'm posting a screen below. Can you guide me?

Thanks in advance

image_2022-05-17_133626622.png

From the part you make a drawing and you choose the view named unfolded state in the view palette.

On the other hand, in your sheet metal part, what do you put as a parameter of loss at the bend or of the K factor.

Because realizing the unfolded view does not mean that the loss at the folds is good. And the unfolded view can therefore be wrong.

2 Likes

Or if it's just for an export save as (dxf or dwg of your choice) look at the options and save.

But always the same problem, if the sheet metal parameters are incorrectly populated in the part, the unfolded will be bad.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer. Indeed when drawing I unfolded it is perfect. I'm attaching a screen of the parameters filled in. I left the default setting which seemed to coincide with what I saw in a few videos.

Can you tell me what you think?

image_2022-05-17_140243520.png
1 Like

Not so easy to give you an answer, the parameters are supposed to correspond to your machine used for folding.

On our press brake we have carried out tests according to the material, the thickness of the sheet metal and the bending machine.

The bending vein is modified according to the thickness of the sheet metal and the bend length and the desired inner bending radius.

Depending on these elements, you can then deduce a value of loss at the fold (for our part, this is the solution chosen with an excel loss at the fold / thickness table) or a K factor which gives you a result that is quite close to the truth.

On the other hand, in view of your parameters, the bending radius for a 1mm thick sheet metal seems huge to me (5mm) while for our Amada bending machine, 1mm sheet = 8 ve, i.e. a radius of 1.3mm int. With such a large radius there is a great risk of error in your development.

And the for the k  factor 0.5 is not too bad up to 3mm (and 0.33 afterwards) Without being able to say that these parameters are valid for your press brake, of course.

4 Likes

Hello

What sbadenis says is right! You have to take into account the parameters of loss at the crease etc..... For my part, I am simplifying things. Instead of taking the "loss at the fold" or "k-factor" option, I validate the "folding area" option and I multiply the thickness 2.De my side, the cutter or folder applies the loss at the fold etc.

exemple_pliage.jpg
2 Likes

Thank you very much for these clarifications. I will approach the boilermaker so that he can give me these loss values and complete my piece. Indeed I made a mistake it's 2mm thick and you can surely reduce the radius of curvature depending on the tools available and the press. 

2 Likes

@contact_168 the value of the thickness x2 is often close to the truth (dev on the inner side) but not always exact depending on the ve.

And above all only valid for a 90° angle, the ideal is the loss at the fold (excel table of 5) in 5° by material and by thickness.

Or simpler but less exact the K factor (neutral fiber ratio) which comes very close to the truth so that the radius drawn is accurate.

To test, ask the folder to make a 50mm x50mm square to the folder and give you the dev.

Based on this, you then check whether your k-factor is close to the truth or not

2 Likes

Hello sbadenis,

Yes, I am well aware of all these parameters. But for my part, I proceed like this following the request of my suppliers (laser, bending) who take into account the settings related to their machines. Personally, I don't have to worry about that. In the meantime, thank you for the information that can be useful to other people.

Kind regards.

1 Like