Studying the strength of a solidworks tubular structure

Hello I have a tubular structure made with the welded construction module in solidworks and I would like to study its resistance but I can't do the simulation because the software has problems with the connections of the tubes

how can I do it

I wanted to study on rdm6 but the geometry is quite complicated to model on rdm6 and I must have about 25 tubes I would love to do on solidworks

Hello

I had the same problem under catia but I think we can transpose the solution I found.

The problem is that you also have to model the different connections between the different tubes (the weld beads) which is a lot of work.

Under catia I actually extracted the surfaces of my tubes and I connected them to each other to have a single surface including all my tubes.

Of course for this you have to have all your tubes the same thickness and the best thing is to have solid tubes but I think this is  your case.

Kind regards

Bastien

PS: if you need to, I can do it for you, you just have to send your file in .iges

I tried the solder beads (98) and it doesn't work. I have different tube  diameters and different thicknesses and the problem with solidworks is that even if you create in one part when you create with the welded assembly module he creates several parts that he manages to import into the simulation he doesn't want to do the simulation telling me that there are connections. I can't extract my tubes from my structure, it would be too long because none of them are on the same axis, it's the tubular beam in a semi-arc. There must be a way to link the tubes in the simulation otherwise it would prevent me from opening a piece made up of several tubes in addition it recognizes the knots and I would like to impose that the knots become rigid

Hello

If possible, send a screenshot of your structure to see the tracks that can be eliminated.

Kind regards

Bastien

Good evening

I don't know if it will help you, but you can do a Boolean operation (addition) so that all your soldered assembly is linked, then you need to do a step export (or other) that you will reopen on solidworks, this will make you a one-piece part that you can use with the rdm module.

Hi everyone,

In solidworks, the mechanically welded elements are directly simulated in beam mode (1D) so there is no need to represent the welds or other connecting elements.

In automatic nodes are created to symbolize the connection between each beam and in automatic they are rigid, so your problem is not at the level of the knots!.

Alexis, which version do you use?

Can you pass us the file so that we can see where the problem lies?

Do your hits touch? If not, you should look at the clearance tolerance between the beams at the level of the connecting nodes (right click modify on "Connection group"?

I'm attaching a picture where you see this notion of knots!

@+

noeuds.jpg

As Coyote points out, I don't see any particular problem in carrying out this type of study on solidworks, however if Alexis you are equipped with a simulationXpress, there is indeed only one solution, which is to merge all your bodies because the "free" simulation module is only designed to work on single-body parts.

1 Like

Thanks to you with your help I understood better how to work the welded assembly simulation and I finalized; EMT Successful

Hello Alexis,

Could you describe how you solved your problem? This way, everyone can enjoy it.

Thank you in advance.

When I understood that it resolves as a 2d beam system I understood that I could apply the force on the knots and by digging a little I managed to define all the rigid knots