Exploitation of a volume model to generate a file that can be used in dxf (Gorilla)

Hello

I worked in a group with my students on a model from a scan of a model of a monkey (free model).

We made a 3D sketch by reprocessing all the points to obtain elementary triangles (SOLIDWORKS).

The file is attached to my question.

The problem then arises on the minimization of the triangles and the hierarchy of the triangles with the desire to have identical triangles by family and size which will be grouped or not with the beginnings of breaking the common bond in order to facilitate bending, then the welds will be made to stiffen the whole.

The entire base part will be calculated by hand and then by simulation with optimization of the thicknesses according to the constraints revealed. The civil engineering part will be addressed by a different group with wind resistance (anchoring according to the destination soil).

It is on the grouping and organization of these triangles that we are blocked.

You have to obtain a hull and then obtain a conversion into sheet metal, for troughs or hoppers we have solutions by going through different stages but the models are simpler.........

For the Solidworks 2018 source file

A first draft concerns the partial front dough.

The goal is to make a 3 m high sheet metal model to make a totem for our village.

Is this feasible with meshing software, or what compatible option or approach to consider to obtain the beginning of a result while remaining on solidworks.

The group is made up of 10 people and a boilermaking workshop with a laser is available. 

It's a side project to their training, no evaluation, just a request from a student.

We thank you in advance for your reading and the avenues to consider.

Have a good weekend.

files.

gorille_2018.sldprt

What's next......

patte_avant.sldprt

The STL gorilla........

um3e_wlk-gor2p.stl