3DS Export

Hello

I'm on SolidWorks 2016 and I want to export an assembly in 3DS format.

After many searches on the internet I found nothing except the SYCODE plug-in  but which only works for SolidWorks up to the 2013 version.

If anyone has a solution, I'm all for it.

Thank you in advance.

MichelAM

Hello

Have you looked at Datakit?

@+

1 Like

Hello

See if it can help you:

https://grabcad.com/questions/tutorial-how-to-export-solidworks-files-to-3ds-max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2QT2b6P3s

1 Like

Hello

A Premium license allows you to activate the ScanTo3D add-on which allows it to save directly in 3Ds format.

See attached screenshot

Have a nice day

Mick

scanto3d.png
3 Likes

Hello

I tried the 3 solution proposals that were made to me:

Coyote: I did some research on DataKit but all their solutions are paid for (at full price) and I don't want to incur any additional costs...

Ac Cobra 427:  same answer as for DataKit...

Mick.Cordero:  Having a Premium  license I activated the ScanTo3D add-on, but when I register under "3DS" I get the following message "There is no entity to process in 3DS." and I don't know how to make it work (and yet I have read a good part of the online help...!?)

Thanks anyway for the answers.

I'll continue to look for ScanTo3D....

A+

MichelAM

Hello

I think I know why, in fact, a 3DS file is a "mesh" file and I think you directly export your model from a volume or surface body.

The solution is as follows:

Export your file in STL format (the default stl, the one that everyone has even those who don't have Scanto3D, not the stl of Scanto3D because you'll end up with the same message)

Import your file with the Stl type but from Scanto3D this time, you'll see, it's at the bottom of the list in "mesh file"

Finally, export your file in 3DS format, this should no longer be a problem.

Have a nice day

Mick

1 Like

A big thank you to Mick.Cordero... The procedure works.

It's a bit (too) long, but here's my procedure:

Open an SLDASM file, save it as SLDPRT.

Open the SLDPRT to export it to STL (Basic)

Open the STL  with the ScanTo3D option and export it to 3DS.

All to open it in Artlantis to render (I'm very attached to this program)... I have known simpler.

A+

MichelAM