Impossible extrusion

I'm tired of buggy customer files :'(

I switched to a new project, a client sent me a building in .stp file...  I diagnosed the file, I converted it to .asm, etc etc... The assembly is made up of several things: the one-piece building structure, an assembly consisting of a metal structure inside the building and several industrial machines.

I wanted to apply several extrusions on the building (.prt) in order to eliminate some elements that bother me and also to facilitate the future MEPs that I should do. Unfortunately, and for some unknown reason,  the extrusion function is grayed out, impossible to do what I want... I tried to rely on several different surfaces, on a plane... Nothing to do, I did 2-3 searches on the subject but I couldn't find anything...

Has anyone ever had this problem? How to fix it? Thank you

CF Image

extrusion_impossible.png
1 Like

Hello

Is it necessary to have an assembly? You can try recording in pieces to see if it works (several options possible).

1 Like

So for the question it's very simple: You don't have a volume body, so you can't remove matter!! :/

Now to achieve what you want, the easiest way (from my point of view, I don't know the details of your need!) is to delete (deactivate, not necessarily delete permanently) the "imported surfaceXX" functions that you don't need.

6 Likes

You have to restrict the surfaces because you are on the surface.

edit: ah, well like benoit.lf actually. Sorry.

2 Likes

Haaarf... It's true... No cuts possible if no volume :s

The problem is that there is a good ladle of imported surfaces... When you see that a simple wall is made up of 10-15 imported surfaces... Why don't my clients just work on Solidworks... I feel like I take more time debugging my clients' files than designing their machinery:(

Durdur this Tuesday morning:p

EDIT: I have 2318 imported surfaces T_T

2 Likes

Sion, redo your import in volume =)

4 Likes

Now my poor Joss, you're still preparing a project on a not very sound basis :/

2 Likes

It doesn't remind me of any good memories of all this. When I was making molds, we had a good laugh with the customer parts in STEP too, which had to be sewn again etc etc (joy of volume)

Otherwise, you can't sew your piece and then do the fill function? 

1 Like

I agree 100% with @benoit

You need to clean what you don't need

(all the inner skins of the walls (insulation etc.) can be removed)

What you need is the envelope so remove all the surfaces that are useless

after creating your volumes if as said @ bart didn't work (import in volume)

Take your time to have a super healthy base this time

or recreate the building since you have the right sides (sometimes it's + simple)

at least afterwards you will be able to justify the merits of your working method

if possible make several parts (floor/floor) that you will assemble later

so you can work in stages if necessary

It's your foundation for a clean job

@+ ;-))

7 Likes

To create volume from a surface, tile, thicken, or sew surfaces.

Then you can do your extrusion.

I can only encourage you to apply the method proposed by GT22.

It's going to take a little time at the beginning but it's an investment.

Or try to recover the original file.

1 Like

Hello

If it's construction, why not use IFC import, which is the new standard used in the building world:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_Foundation_Classes

@+

The problem is that SW doesn't seem to take it into account...

@stefbeno SolkidWorks when opening IFC files since its 2012 or 2013 version.

1 Like

Oh well@stefbeno?

When I press "open", in the list of formats, I have "IFC 2x3 (*.ifc)" between the STEP and the ACIS.

Not you? I'm in SW13.

Have you ever tried this format @coyote? Is it better than WWTP?

Honestly no, I haven't tried more than that, but I have a great friend who tells me that this format is gradually becoming the universal format in the world of construction.

I think Joss.G should ask his client if this type of format can be provided to him since he is just starting his project and then he will be able to judge....

@+

@Coyoyte and Benoit.LF: As much as time for me, I had missed it.

1 Like

"Time":)

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_temps_pour_moi

So @Joss how are you doing?

@+ ;-))

I'm not really getting by, I barely have time to switch to Lynkoa, we're in the middle of a mess at the office, I've been given 3 different files and I have big problems on a construction site so I haven't made any progress in terms of the conversion to volume...

I asked my client for other file formats, no answers from him and I haven't relaunched him yet... The site is put aside for the moment, we have other rather urgent priorities...

But I have in mind everything you told me ^^ it will soon be useful to me;)

1 Like