Part Family: No Valid Occurrence

Hello 

I made an assembly in SolidWorks (window + strike) and I want to check the height of this strike with Excel. To do this, I positioned the strike plate in relation to the window thanks to constraints (coincident + distance) and I created a family of parts with the function "D1@hauteur strike" (name of the distance constraint), and it works.

Now, I'd like to create an Excel "standard" externally with the same function, which I could open on all my next windows that will also have this mess.

I tried copying the exact same part family that I did internally with my first assembly that worked, pasting it into a new Excel, and importing it into a new assembly, but it doesn't work, an error message appears "No valid part family occurrences could be found", while the name of the strike and the constraint are exactly the same on this new assembly.

How to do it?

Hello

I think this message refers more to the different variants of your assembly and not to your rating. So if you have removed variants or added, it may not like depending on your options (board-driven or vice versa)

Personally, I forbid myself to use excel tables to control a part/assembly.

I use the internal equation system and pack & go as soon as there's a new product, it avoids unintentional changes on other projects, but it takes up more space on the disk.

1 Like

(off-topic: Personally, I almost never use equations, and prefer the family by excel, part or assembly.)

In order for the array to work again in other assemblies, it requires certain criteria:

In your case you only want to manage one column: "D1@hauteur waste"

This means that in the other assemblies there must be the same constraint, with the same name!

It is also necessary that in the excel, there is at least one "Default" or other line to create...

Often when there is a writing problem in an excel table, when closing it, there is a popup that indicates the writing problem, reading this message could be interesting.

It's a gray popup that's in the top right corner of the graphic area.

When you open the excel "included in solidworks" by closing the excel, you can see the message. On the other hand, if you open excel in a real excel window, when exiting excel, the popup is only displayed for 1/10 of a second!! (using a screenshot can help, but it's still not easy to take)

1 Like

FUZ3D, the problem is that I have no choice but to use Excel because I'm doing an internship in a company and it doesn't depend on my will^^ And I'm quite a beginner on SW so I don't know the use of equations and "pack&go"...

Olivier42, totally agree! In the new assembly, I have the same constraint name, and I have created the "Default" line. Indeed, I am learning the use of the part family and I have already seen this window appear when there was a writing problem, but in my case it is not a writing problem since this window does not appear, but rather of occurrence given the error message.

In fact, I realized that if I create the part family in an assembly, copy that family to an external Excel, and import that external Excel back into that assembly, the part family doesn't work anymore! 

Attached is my family of parts (really not complicated) with the constraint concerned, and on the right the error message.

pb_famille_piece.pdf

trial by removing line 2?

I've thought about it too, but it doesn't change anything

Weird
I made an asm of 2 pieces (virtual but I don't think it plays). I configured the dimension, converted the config into a family table, exported the table.
I then duplicated my assembly, deleted the family table and the configs and then reattached the table obtained previously. And no problem, I added/removed configs in the table directly via excel, SW asks me what to do when opening (update the table or the template). This is surprising insofar as I asked to prohibit the modifications of the table via the template.

- Did you check the "Link to file" box when you attach your family table?

- Try to make a test canister assembly with only 2 pieces. If the problem persists, post it (make a take-away composition or pack'n go depending on the version, make sure there is the excel file in the zip).

1 Like

Thank you stefbeno for your answer;  

Weird, today it works (so much the better), the only change I made is to check the "Link to file" box, something I didn't do before. 

An excel file for a family does not have to be "outside" the Solidworks file.

It can be "included in the file", which allows you to prevent changes to the excel by any error.

Personally, I prefer to "include" the file move, or the lock-unlock is done only with a single file, the Solidworks file.