Part Family & Materials - SolidWorks

Good evening

I  do tests on families of parts. I put 2 different materials on 2 configs. Then made my familyd of parts and I got 2 properties for the materials:

What's the difference?

Thank you

Hello Alain,

the difference is the matter. I use this way of working for our screws and bolts library. The same part can exist in different materials and it is much more for their management. Same for flanges and some parts for customers.  It helps because each config has a different reference, with us each part has an article number that appears in the nomenclature, so stainless steel or galvanized or s235 do not have the same number in our ERP system

3 Likes

It is no wiser to make part files by type of material 

In many cases, when you work on stainless steel, in general, the rest of the library parts or materials used are always stainless steel

ditto for the galva for the black, the cu, the pu, etc.....

in this case it's library copies with each their material values

well in my mind it works like that

and that each piece is its own no, via concatenation 

Part Parameter + Material 

@+

2 Likes

Thank you @gt22, but it's my goal to have several materials for the same pieces. The question is mainly about the 2 parameters proposed by making the table:

$PROPRIETE@Material

$BIBLIOTHEQUE:MATERIAUX@Pièce6

1 Like

@gt22 is what I usually do; a copied file specifying in the name the material and adapted config references.

But here, I would like to test a single part and vary the material parameter in config.

Hence this question and especially the next one, the "*" that appear and the links that are being made strangely for the moment.

1 Like

Material Configuration

You can configure the material of a part in the Edit Configurations dialog box.

To display the proper appearance of materials in each configuration, display states must be linked to configurations. Before configuring the material, select Link Display States to Configurations at the bottom of the ConfigurationManager tab.

1. Right-click Material  in the FeatureManager Design Tree and click Configure Material . 

The Edit Configurations dialog box appears. The Material column provides a Favorites drop-down list for materials for each configuration.

2. To specify a material for a configuration, click  in the Material column , and then do one of the following:
    • a material from the list.
    • Select Browse More at the end of the list to access the Material dialog box, where you can select a predefined material or create a custom material.
2 Likes

For a library room, the two ways of managing the material are correct and possible (depending on the room concerned): 

- either in the same file with configs

- or a different file per subject

Note: to make the config library, the naming of the configs is important, not providing an option, can call into question all the config names. After several years of library, a fairly universal method of type: criterion-criterion...-dimensions-option-option... (I won't develop this point).

Configs mode: advantage geometry or other changes, are done en masse only once, disadvantage list of choices in ASM can become too long (beyond 200/300 in my opinion).

Different file mode: advantage of short list of choices in ASM, allows you to replace materials with the function replace component (trick, keep the same name of the configs), disadvantage of geometry modifications or other, you have to do the job several times.

For the part family in a library file, it is recommended to prohibit dimension changes by 3D, it is the excel that controls.

For the columns in your excel, one is valid, the other should not be there, because it must remain in automatic variable (not managed by the excel):

$BIBLIOTHEQUE:MATERIAUX@Pièce6 = must be managed in the excel.

$PROPRIETE@Material = is to be deleted from the excel, and then you have to check each config, to click again in the box, and point to the variable which should look like "SW-Material@@nomconfig@nomfichier.SLDPRT"

There you go.

2 Likes

The difference between $PROPRIETE@Material and $BIBLIOTHEQUE:MATERIEUX@Pièces6:

$BIBLIOTHEQUE:MATERIEUX@Pièces6: This is the material that is applied in the model through the SOLIDWORKS Material Editor.

$PROPRIETE@Material: This is the materials property, the one that you fill in in file, Property, tab specific to the configuration.

Wholesale:

$BIBLIOTHEQUE:MATERIEUX@Pièces6 => allows you to parameterize the material via the part family

$PROPRIETE@Material => Material = the name of the specific property to the configuration you have entered in the properties, it allows you for example to retrieve this property in a note or a bom of your plan, you can also control the value of your "hard" materials from the part family, in your case, this is the evaluated value of the variable: "SW-Material@@Nom of config@Nom of a coin. SLDPRT"  but you could have entered a hard-coded value.

I hope my explanations are clear enough:)

Mick

1 Like

Thank you @gt22 for your help. It is this type of configuration that adds $BIBLIOTHEQE ... at the Excel table

Thank you @olivier.wisniewski, that answers my question.

As you seem to have experience in Family of Parts, I would like you to clarify your Remark on the names that are better to give.

I will ask a question on the subject soon.

Thank you @Mick.Cordero, it was very clear and it complements the answer of @olivier.wisniewski.

1 Like

To make a synthesis, we can put the materials in 2 ways in configuration:

- By Configuring the Material ($BiBLOTHEQUE:MATERIALS...)

- Directly in the configuration property ($PRORIETE@Material)

These are 2 different and independent methods; We can get this kind of aberation:

Too bad because my first idea was to put the material in the name of the config by concatenation:

But now it's grated otherwise I have a long name like this:

01160-202x300 (32X20) Mes_Matériaux:EN-GJL-250

No, no worries about doing what you want, with the excel...

Point 1:

First of all, we have to take a point, for me, a real piece of library to be configured by an excel, it means:

That it's only the excel that controls everything, so the "prohibit edits" option is enabled.

As a reminder, when you put an excel in a file, the info to go in one direction (3D-shift-to-excel) or in the other (Excel-shift-to-3D).

(personally, I never use the 3D-shift-to-excel direction, because I work directly in excel)

Point 2:

Did well what I said on 02/12.

$PROPRIETE@Material should not be in the excel.

then exit the excel, go to file-property, and you have to go to each config, and check/reset-if necessary the "Material" property and tell it to take as a value "Materials in the tree"

the code should look like SW-Material@@nomconfig@nomfichier.SLDPRT

Tip: If there are too many configs to redo, have the excel delete all the configs except the active one (put the active one in line 2, insert a line in line 3, so we keep all the configs in lines 4,5,6...). Fix the activ, then have all the configs recreated by the excel (because the principle of duplication of prp).

Point 3:

To make the material appear with a normal display, you have to use a text formula in excel to take the value of the box only from the N character.

Otherwise, it's not necessary, typing the material manually in the name of the config is acceptable, with rigor, there are no problems.

Point 4:

For the principles of naming configs, it's by forging that we become forgeront.

It's by doing tons of config libraries that we can then put "good config names"... Laughing out loud

You have to be rigorous, know how to correct yourself a minimum before releasing a file.

If you don't have this rigor, have someone else do it.

Basically, always provide zeros even before the decimal point, pay attention to the forbidden character (for nomenclature exports), always see further, after, the possible options.

Separating criteria or options with "-" is more pleasant to read.

and the spaces too!

For the / or 3/4" digit, use a word "classifier" before then the value 3-4".

3/4" becomes DN20 3-4" or DN020 3-4"

And basically we name, the first criteria are often in reverse order...

And the matter is better not to be at the end.

All this is done not to create jerky lists, but logical sequences, knowing that solidworks displays the order with alphabetical consideration...

Example :

Mat-A - 01160 - 0006 x 0200

Mat-A - 01160 - 0202 x 0300

Mat-A - 01160 - 0202 x 1000

Mat-B - 01160 - 0006 x 0200

Mat-B - 01160 - 0202 x 0300

Mat-B - 01160 - 0202 x 1000

1 Like

Wow!

That's a long answer like I rarely have!

Thank you very much @olivier.wisniewski !!

I'm in the process of dissecting your answer which deserves greater visibility.

I asked a question on the subject and it would be good if you Copy/Paste your answer to serve the community:

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/import-export-formats-neutres/comment-nommer-les-configs-pour-avoir-des-famille-de-pi%C3%A8ces-opti

I created a new topic, because the explanations go a little beyond a simple family of rooms.

But the links with the proper use of solidworks features, and a good library are linked!!

1 Like