Building Tree Management

Hello

Just a little question of organization at the level of the construction tree.

I have always been taught that for a good design, we must start from a block of material and only remove material. Unfortunately, I have a hard time following this process because during our preliminary projects we have a lot of modifications as we go along (the part can easily be modified a dozen times).

How do you do it?

Hello

When I'm prototyping, I consider my part to be plasticine. I  do anything and everything until I get the desired result. Then I break down this piece into a simple geometric shape, I start  the piece again respecting  this cut. In this way my study part can have 1000 functions but the redesigned part only a few functions because I start from point A to go to point Z without going through b,c,d.........

May the force be with you.

5 Likes

Hello

We frequently and without hesitation redesign the part before production.

I think that we should not have any qualms because the design pieces must remain a little messy in order to give way to different tests, ideas, to allow us to go back easily....

Otherwise it would be a bit like trying to write a book without drafts or deletions...

3 Likes

There are several philosophies for building a room.

In a direct way, by respecting the design intention (e.g. symmetry) or the "method" way are 2 examples.

The "Method" way consists of creating the part according to the phase contract, as if we were making it, phase by phase, naming the functions in relation to each phase and creating a new configuration for each phase.

2 Likes

Your answers reassure me.

On some pieces, where I am sure of their final shape, I have started to take everything back to have a clean tree.

Alain.ERP: I'm a bit on both methods, on the one hand I try to respect the different stages of manufacturing (which allows me to check that my part is feasible) and on the other hand when there are symmetries or repetitions I will use the assigned functions so that I don't have to redraw the part.

1 Like

It depends a bit on the context: series part or single part.

We work on single units exclusively (special machine). I recommend the method of removing materials, it avoids parts that cannot be manufactured.
Sometimes a part must be taken back, in which case we try to clean up as we go along.

In assembly, it's a bit the same: in the preliminary design phase, we put constraints as we go along, but we take them up mainly to make the model more reliable in terms of configurations and check the hole spacing (which is only done in the detail phase).

3 Likes

stefbeno. I work a lot on studies and it's not always easy to work directly with material removal and yet I try as much as possible... But some modifications would require me to redo my whole tree when it's not even sure that it will be validated in the end (a lot of modifications, for example I had to modify a spacer 5 times...).

After, I conceive of taking back a part of the parts to make a clean tree if one day when has to modify something on the part. Also working a lot with step (because the former designer worked on topsolid) it's not easy to make a clean tree when there are modifications and on the other hand, we don't want to have fun redesigning the part so we do what we can.

In any case, thank you for all your answers, which reassured me a lot. I validate Obi Wan's answer since he is the first person who answered me and who well guided me on how to resume to have my tree as clean as possible.