SURFACE GROOVES

Hi all

I would like to make half spheres in hollow like on the attached stabilo handle.

I've already tried multiple ways but now I'm stuck.... Any leads to give me?

stabilo.jpg

Hello

Although I don't use Catia, I tried to do it on SW with simple forms.

If SW can do it, there is a strong change that Catia also or better.

For this example I started with a perforated grid from which I recover the contours of the holes, which I wind with the "winding/unfeeding"  function (Last image with the Embossing option which allows you to do the opposite for a mold for example)

As they are cylinders I added a fillet function with a radius smaller than the diameter of the holes otherwise it refuses.

Another solution would be to start from a sphere and then remove the material, but I don't know how to distribute it on the surface in the same way as the "distribution in a zone" function (function generally to create ventilation grilles or enclosures)

Of course afterwards you have to remove the grid and for the moment only on a cylindrical surface.

Hope that Catia allows you to do the same thing, unless you have a repetition of a body on an area.

stabilo_1.png
1 Like

Thank you for trying to help me, but I don't know this function on CATIA and moreover it's not a cylindrical surface. For rehearsals I can do it on a flat surface but not otherwise. Thank you anyway.

1 Like

Too bad, not having Catia on hand I can't confirm if there is an equivalent function.

In the meantime I did the test on a curved function and it also works, here is the overview.

All that's left to do is ask pro Catia to find these functions. or simply in the help of the software by looking for "embossing" for example if it works.

Good luck and let us know if you have progressed on the subject, it's still interesting.

(in SW help they use text that they apply to a curved  or cylindrical surface)

1 Like

Hello

1. GSD workshop.
  2. Create the points of implantation of each sphere on the surface (group them in a geometric set).
  3. Create the sphere on the first point.
  4. Use the custom repetition function (select all the points except the one where the sphere is located).
  5. in the Part Design workshop (create two cuts, one by selecting the sphere, the other the repeat).

If you are in R27 or above the example in the attachment

repetition_sphere_surface.catpart
3 Likes

Hello

Thank you for your help, but I'm stuck at level 4: I can't select the points in the custom repeat function, I don't have access to them in the geometric set "points" how to do  it? I'm a novice, could you give me some tips to move forward.

Below is a screenshot.

Kind regards.

spherecatia.jpg

Hello, you can't select the points? Neither in the graph nor in the graphic space?

You look like you have an old version of CATIA because you don't have the bag of marbles next to the selection, which version do you use?

With the old versions, you had to click the first point, then go back to the "Position" window, click and then go and look for the next points.

If you put your file I can see if there is another PB (Hybrid mode design for example).

I don't have the workshop that gives you access to the "Volume" toolbar, I use the "Sphere" cmd under GSD and then I fill it in under "Part design" before doing the repetition but I don't think the PB is there?

1 Like

Thank you for your help, I did it, but not automatically. I realized that I could only do a repetition of my sphere on a flat surface where the dots were  in a sketch. But there is no way to create a sketch with dots on a curved surface.  So I created my spheres one by one on each of the points and after cutting one by one, there are not that many! Especially since first I created my sphere manually in Part Design  while you can create it directly  in Wireframe and Surface Design.