3D Engraving Folded Sheet Metal for DXF

Hello

How to engrave the text 1999 on a folded sheet metal in 3D so as to obtain an engraving without double lines on the DXF file of the unfolded sheet metal

Is there a particular procedure or function or policy to be used?

thank you in advance

Hello

Several avenues can be considered, either engraved on the sheet metal or simply placing the text on the unfolded before doing the DXF.

Anyway, you need a "Baton" type font, I don't know one in particular but you have to look at it.

@+

Hello

I just tested it and I don't see a double stroke.

Could you take a screen print so that we can understand?

Thank you:)

Oops, so much for me, I just understood...

the objective is to be able to engrave directly on the 3D

so that it's already in place in the 3D model file

(then we use it or we delete it)

because dxf is made from the 3D part

It's doable on Pro-Engineer but apparently not on Solidworks...

As Jose-Accessa says, a screen print will be welcome

everyone can see it

so + possibilities of answers 

@+ ;)

If the text is not useful for the DXF, you might as well temporarily delete the function when exporting to DXF (right click -> delete (logo of a vertical downward arrow)).

Have a nice day.

2 Likes

I think in my opinion that the purpose of a font without double strokes is to be able to use it on a laser type numerical control machine.

To my knowledge, I don't know of any simple font without double strokes.

The publisher of my CAM software created one for me so that I could engrave text on sheet metal.

Otherwise you can maybe create your own font by making blocks to use it on your 3D.

Re

Trying this font at home works!

@+

cambam_stick_fonts.zip

Attached Printed Screen

gravage_double_trait.png

Re

This is what I get with the police I pushed you.

@+

gravure.jpg
2 Likes

Thank you Coyote for the "stick" fonts

but still impossible to get a "single line engraved" in the 3D

to get a "single line" on the dxf, dxf generated via the 3D part by a macro

not seen the last answer

ok I'll watch and I'll come back in a few minutes

Re re re,

So I create my sketch with my font on the desired side, then I save my 3D in DXF and I check the sketch box in the options (see image) and it's OK.

@+

Do the leave edges appear on your DXF?

If the answer is no, just do a standard engraving but with a draft to have an edge at the bottom of the engraving, and make a leave on the double edges to make them disappear from the DXF.

Hello

It is also possible to perform extruded material removal in thin function.

The trick is to set the thickness of the thin function to 0.01mm for example so that the "double line is invisible.

Of course, you need a font with a single line to write the text to be engraved. (see previous post)

Hello

Indeed, often working from the field of laser, the simplest to make an engraving and exported it in . DXF is to do a material removal function by putting 0.01mm of cutting and above all uncheck the normal material removal.

For the font, I usually use the Century Gothic font which looks like in the attached image.

This does not make a double stroke when exporting because the 2 strokes being on top of each other, Solidworks automatically deletes the overlapping strokes when exporting DXF.

However, be careful to export the right side to the sheet metal, otherwise the DXF will be made from the opposite side of the engraving!

piece1.jpg