Rectangular notching on part converted to sheet metal

Hello

I found some discussion about notching at the crease but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I would like to be able to convert a part into sheet metal WITHOUT resorting to rectangular/rounded trimming at the fold...

The goal: to have only one stroke at the fold when converting to dxf.

See in PJ the "ideal" part made in sheet metal with its dxf and the converted part with the notching problem.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Converted part

sheet metal part

Hello 

It is indeed on a native solidworks sheet metal part, the notching will not be rectangular or rounded but it will be a "tear in cut" on the other hand, there will not be the line on the unfolded, 

To have a line at the level of the notching you will have to go through a rectangular notch with the lowest possible value (0.05 on solidworks)

Even with a function recognition on an imported part, there is little chance that it will be modifiable, 

Yours truly, 

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer, on the native part I have the line on the unfolded, see image 1 (I use "show tangent edges" so that the inter. radius is visible).

For the notching, even with the settings at 0.05, I still have 0.2mm of offset and the bleeding is too deep (for my taste).

It's a shame to have to go through a hack of the unfolded part to have a simple slot...

Hello

The problem with a slit line at the fold is the price of the part, which will be much more expensive in laser cutting. If there is no room for a round trip, there will be one bait per line, so for this piece there will be 3. The outline and the two edge strokes of the folds. Priming is the most expensive option, drilling time and gas consumption. If you leave 0.5mm (the laser beam is 0.2mm) the laser can cut the part only with a priming so much cheaper.

2 Likes

Hello and thank you for your answer. In fact, it was precisely a request that was made to me to simplify the processing of the file by the laser operator. We agree, in reality, the laser cuts on the line and the notching will be 0.2mm. Currently, the operator is "hand-editing" the Solidworks notches to replace them with a simple line...

I have the impression that in the case of a part to be converted into sheet metal, it is not possible, Solidworks does it but does not want to unfold (problem of coplanar faces/geometry of zero thickness).

Is this a request from the laser operator or programmer? Because from my point of view it's a waste of time and money to edit a file to lose money. If you put a 0.5 to 1mm notch, there is no need to touch up and there will only be one priming instead of 3. 

1 Like

Hello, this is a subcontractor so I don't have any more info.

Hello

Have you been able to find a solution with your subcontractor because I am interested in their point of view?

1 Like