Importing dwg files into a sketch

Hello

I draw up shelving layout plans for a client. To do this, I receive the plan of my client's building in dwg format that I integrate into a sketch. Then I set up my 3D shelving in relation to my client's 2D plan. Problem: my client's plan is cumbersome to deal with and I spend most of my time waiting. Is there a way to open a dwg in a "lite" way? I'm trying to convert the dwg file to dxf via inkscape, it's a little better but not magic either.

If you have any solutions, I'm all for it.

Hello D.Daviega,

So to insert a dwg in SW, nothing could be simpler to copy/paste, by opening a new SW file, and create the sketch in SW using the necessary top plane. (Be careful for information a dxf is bigger than a DWG, because it's the compression of the DXF).

To improve  the speed at which the file is opened, it would be more necessary to take only the outline necessary to position elements in relation to the sketch.

That is my solution, and that is what I am doing.

To see, good luck.

@+.

AR

1 Like

In general, for this type of layout, I do the opposite, I draw the building in 3d, I set up my machines (racking for you), I export in dwg and I superimpose my 2 dwg in a 2d software (drafsight, autocad or other) in order to check if I'm good or not and I adjust if it's not the case.

Importing a big dwg into solidworks can be a real hassle and make you lag.

2 Likes

Depending on how the file was made (native dwg file or export of another software), it is more or less clean.
The critical point is the number of entities.
In this kind of case, the best method is to spend some time manually purging/tracing the file to keep only the essentials.

1 Like