Import a derived configuration

Hi all

I'm new to SW and I'd like to use derived configurations and be able to make my choice during an assembly.

Let me explain to you before my tree structure:

1. Gross Body

1.a Config A

1.b. Config B

2 Machined body

The machined body is a second file where I use " Insert> Parts..." to add the raw body as a derivative.

My question is: Is it possible to see the configurations of the stock when inserting the machined body into an assembly ?

I found a solution where I can see and choose the configuration by right-clicking on the stock and External references but I find that this solution is not very relevant especially if another person wants to use this machined part in another assembly. He will have to constantly look at what configuration he is on and not make a mistake.

Is there another solution?

I hope I was clear ^^

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Hello,

To choose your configuration or derived configuration, simply click on the part and choose. See attachment:

configuration.png
1 Like

Hello AC cobra,

Thank you for the answer but SW doesn't offer me this option because the configuration is in the derivative. I can only change my stock option via external references.

See attachment

sw.png

There are 2 problems in your question

you want to be able to change a part configuration in an assembly

so it's not the same room anymore

So once I have made the modifications of this said part, I propose to insert

go back to the part file and rename it as it is no longer the same part

This renamed part can be a configuration of your raw part

so you'll have a gross with a reference X

and your part modify with ref x+n

which will not prevent your colleague from working on the raw part

but if he modifies the raw part it will also be modified for you

as long as it has the same name

@+ ;-)

1 Like

See these tutorials among others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zv6OxE0qyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ0eXW_GxU0

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Hello

If you break the link with the original  part when inserting the part (from the left pane), your part retrieves a folder with the full tree structure. 

This way you can create your jams directly in the room and not in the imported room, and each room will be independent, so there is no risk of there being a modification by another user.

1 Like

gt22,

Thank you for your answer, but if I rename my machined in my assembly it also renormalizes in the original file.

In my machined file, is it possible to create a configuration that allows you to choose the external references of my derived workpiece?

If this is not possible, I will have to create a single file with all the possible configurations; especially since on my machine I have other configs to create and it will quickly become a gas plant :/

Thanks in advance

Slts

1 Like

@ Setzer

if you rename your factory not in your assembly but in the base part

you create another room

So you have 2 pieces, the one from the raw and the one you just modified and changed the name

To create jams in your factory look at the links I posted above

It's up to you to create x folder (family of parts)

with raw cheese jams

with factory jams

with derivative configues

if you don't want to pull out your hair

well that's how I'll react if necessary

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Hello

In my example I have a derived configuration, the one with a hole. Which version are you on???

1 Like

I did it!

It was very simple actually: In my machined I created several configurations and in each configuration I just changed my external reference directly in the tree by right-clicking on my workpiece.

When I change the configuration, the external reference also changes.

Thank you in any case for your help!

Regards

2 Likes