Unable to constrain a part in a subassembly to the assembly

Hi all

I want to constrain the structure (1) in relation to the foundations (2). 
Part (1) and part (2) are in separate assemblies, respectively.

https://imgur.com/m5r6akk

I am unable to make a distance constraint between part (1) and part (2)  (by remaining in the sub-assembly of part 1)

I can achieve this constraint if I release the subassemblies and perform constraint creation in the main assembly. That's not what I want.

I want to be able to position my window structures in relation to my foundation sub-assembly. It's as if it doesn't want to take into account external references, while I tried to reset the settings to default and then try several configurations.

I know that you can make the sub-assemblies flexible but I'm convinced that in the past on 2018-2019 versions I managed to do this kind of operation without making the sub-assemblies flexible.

Hello

It's normal that it doesn't work because you are in "edit mode" of the "building window machining" sub-assembly , which means that you are not in the ASM at this moment. However, your constraints must be between sub-assemblies and not between components of a sub-assembly.
In other words! parès e^tre sori of the sub-assembly edit mode you start from scratch because you have to put the constraints between the sub-assembly  "window building machining" and the sub-assembly "foundation building machining.
To do this, you select the two sides that interest you on the screen without using the "feature manager" (the creation tree) and without worrying about what is in the subsets, you put the constraint(s) that interest you (face to face for example).

Kind regards

Thank you for your answer,

The problem is that I want to have several window instances in my global window subset, and constrain the window instances against another subset (foundation). But currently this means that I have to add X under window assembly. 

I want to have multiple instances of a constrained part in one subassembly compared to another subassembly

Hello @mmeheust 

I understand your problem.

It is likely that we have to go through configurations. (I'll let my super nice colleagues explain how to do it).
They are good advice because each one has different production constraints.
I only make "one shoot" machines so I don't encounter problems like yours ;-)

Kind regards