Impossible to make a correct trarauded drilling

Hello
Let me explain:

I'm on solidworks 2020
In a volume already extruded by material removal
on one side of this removal of matter,
I perform a 14mm tight type drilling
then, I do a thread tapping by M16X2 thread by cutting the thread
I get a result with a thread not centered on the periphery of the hole.
See attached screenshots.

As a result I cannot repeat the series of thread drilling,

I get a message:
Reconstruction errors
Unable to create the thread with the selected options.
Go to the online help for more information.

Could you help me

resultatpercagefiletage.jpg

Additional details:

I specify that if I perform these same operations on the face of a simple volume body, it works correctly.

Can it come from my part with these material removals obliquely from 3D sketch????

Thank you in advance for your future help

Hello

It's normal, you have to make a sketch for the tapping and use the same sketch for the bore.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello @Pierre.Deudonne

I answered you quickly but that doesn't say why it's a mess ;-)

The important thing to remember is that SW can only fit something to an existing volume, or to an existing sketch by the way. But in your case you are wedging yourself on an edge that is still virtual at this moment so it puts your hole in an approximate way.

By analogy, when you create a chamfer, it only exists when you have validated it. Before validation it is only an image.

I hate this function, piercing assistance and especially their way of doing their (p .... n)  3D  sketch ( to the c.. ) totally illogical) I only use it for tapping. For any other tolerated hole or bore, I use a classic sketch with the correct dimensions.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Yes, but if you choose thread after drilling, you must select an edge.

I tried to select the sketch, it doesn't work.

In the end, I opted for the drilling function by selecting a threaded hole with a thread representation.

It is a representation of shaded threads that is less meaningful than a cut or extruded thread.

But hey>>> for lack of thrushes we make do with blackbirds!!

Thank you for your answers.

If the purpose is only a visual representation without the purpose of 3D printing, the drilling assistant does its job perfectly and the representation complies with the standard of industrial design.

If you decided to make a part with a lot of tapping and all those holes were modeled with the full thread, you'd cry that your machine wasn't moving forward.

@Zozo_mp: I don't understand your remark about the 3D sketch in the drilling wizard. I only make a 3D sketch to drill from non-planar shapes or very special cases, otherwise it's a classic 2D sketch.

6 Likes

Ok, but in the end, I opted for the drilling function by selecting tapped hole with thread representation.

Hello, to come back to your impression of not being centered is quite normal, your thread has to enter the material at some point, and as it follows a spiral you see the beginning of the thread and the more you go down the more it will be hidden on the opposite side. Look at your room in wired mode, you will understand better.

There what you see is the attack of the net and you will have the same thing on the opposite side if it is unblocking.

Here is a picture if it can help to better understand this false impression.

4 Likes

Hello@stefbeno

When you've chosen your tap and want to choose the location, the button is called 3D Sketch.

But just like you,  I do 2D sketches but I would find it easier to do the sketch first and then say what type of drilling. You get used to everything even if making the sketch afterwards is a regular source of small mistakes because you have to recalibrate the holes on the sketch once it is done.

Another option I'm going about it like a stick which is still possible or more worrying mental rigidity  (hihihi!!!!)

;-)    Regards  ;-)

Thank you for your enlightened answers

I won't allow myself to say that you do it like a handle but just that you don't hold the handle properly ;-): You just have to select the face on which you place your holes *before* calling the function and then, magic (no it doesn't make coffee) but it's no longer a question of 3D sketching, you're in classic 2D sketch mode.

If you read SW's message carefully, you can see that it gives you a choice: click on the face to place the holes / to create holes on multiple faces, click on 3D Sketch.
So at this point, you can still choose your face and make a classic 2D sketch.

(Sorry for the French version)

1 Like

Hello @stefbeno

So here I give you a very very big congratulations and especially a very big thank you even for this clear explanation.

In addition, our colleagues will notice that you take care of my health, because this feature annoyed me to the point : which generated, as you know, an occidative stress harmful to the intra-ocular molecules and it was like this until you decimated my blind eyes to the simplicity of the thing.

I think I'll use it more often and leave the circle in a sketch to make a hole, which will simplify the generation of dimensions in the MEP and allow you to use the standardized drill symbols effortlessly.

In summary: Thank you for reacting to my remark and thus helping me to get out of my archaic patterns of drawing board thinking.   ;-)   ;-) ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like

Monsieur is so good :-))