Import files

Hello

Unable to import files from SpaceClaim to SolidWorks,

Do you have a solution?

Kind regards

Hello

It doesn't seem surprising that you can't directly open SpaceClaim files in SolidWorks. The reverse must certainly present the same problem.

To switch from one software to another, the easiest way is to use a neutral format such as Iges, Step or Parasolid. The recovered file no longer has a construction tree and shows dead volume and/or surface bodies.

There are direct gateways, which are often paid, such as Datakit's CrossManager, but which does not seem to manage SpaceClaim http://www.datakit.com/fr/cross_manager.php .

2 Likes

Hello and thank you BenoƮt,

So I tried to save my files in Step but still not.

By the way, I can't even save the SolidWorks  files and it generates an error message and then closes the program.

There is no reason why you can't open or save STEP from SolidWorks. It's an operation that everyone carries out almost on a daily basis (customer parts, commercial parts,...).

Which version of SolidWorks are you using? Year and SP. You can find out by going to ? / By the way. Is it a national education version or a trial version?

For your information, the WWTP is available in 2 versions: 203 and 214. Among other differences, the 203 does not match colors.

2 Likes

Good evening BenoƮt,

Yes, I use a trial version before a possible purchase.

That said, I use the SP4 2015 version.

Kind regards

The version is not to blame: I use exactly the same one.

Try to do a repair of the SolidWorks installation. You can also try another format in recording and opening, just to understand where the problem comes from. Try an Iges or a Parasolid for example.

1 Like

Conclusion Yes, it is possible via SpaceClaim add-ons

see this link http://www.spaceclaim.com/fr/Products/ANSYSSpaceClaim.aspx

A funny video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDg5UTxXqqg

The fact is that SolidWorks is a Parasolid base so any Parasolid should be able to be read and understood

Onshape for all I just watched the videos it's quite bluffing and it's free

https://www.onshape.com/learn/essential-training-series#!lesson-number=4&title=notions-de-base-de-l-assembl-e

@+ ;-)

Re: Benoit

I tried to fix SW but it's always the same... Unable to import and or save!

I tried in IGES, nothing to do...!

1 Like

see this link the line to export a design or a 3D revision among others everything is defined there

To export a 3D design or revision

1. Select Save As from the Application menu.

You can also press F12 or Ctrl+Shift+S.

You must save your design as a DesignSpark Mechanical document before exporting it to another format.

2. Select a file type from the Save As drop-down list.

3. Depending on the file type selected, additional options appear in the Save As window.

• Save as a copy if you want to back up copies of external components referenced by the design with new names or replace the external components with other external components. You need to click onResources for that.

• References to display all external components referenced by the file. Select one or more external components and click Browse to rename or replace the components.

• The Replace Units option is available when you export certain types of files. Select the units from the list.

• Options to also set your default export options for the selected file type.

• Optimize data on export to clean up marked edges and split curves when you export data.

Hidden lines are exported with the default thickness. Components retain their symmetry constraint when they are exported.

For CATIA, Parasolid, STL, and STEP files, you can select the version or protocol to save. You can also set your default export options by clicking Options .

You can save documents containing only sketch curves in the ACIS binary (.sab), ACIS text (.sat), Parasolid, CATIA, IGES, STEP, and VDA formats. You can import and export free points for Rhino, PDF, ACIS, IGES, JT Open, Parasolid, STEP, and VDA formats.

When you save your DesignSpark Mechanical design, imported designs with identical file names are assigned unique file names. For example, if you imported name.prt and name.asm, these files are saved as name.scdoc and name2.scdoc.

4. Navigate to a folder and type a file name in the dialog box.

5.  Click Save.

See this link  http://help.spaceclaim.com/DSM/2012.1/fr/Importing_and_exporting.htm

@+ ;-)

8-| So there... Normally I would have told you to call your dealer's hotline, but since you're on a trial version...

Have you "tinkered" with the options, retrieved a configuration file (sldreg file) from a colleague, or on the internet? Try at worst to reset the SolidWorks settings, but it's a bit of a desperate solution!

1 Like

@Benoit, can't it come from the fact that it's a trial version? Like all the options that are not possible or something like that?

@coin37coin,

It was my idea at the beginning, but apparently all the features are available according to the few links that talk about it. And in general, when a function is not accessible, it is not visible or grayed out, but here it makes you crash according to David. :/

Or... This would be an incompatibility with SpaceClaim??? It would still be surprising!

1 Like

Good evening BenoƮt,

I installed the trial version for a period of one month without changing anything in the settings, I reassure you.

So I would like to model a double cylindrical bend and unfold it by splitting the sections but I don't know if this is possible...

In your opinion, should I contact the company that issued me this version?

Sincere greetings.

David, as for your conversion problems and opening of STEP, yes if you are in contact with a reseller, contact them. On a commercial basis, he should answer you: as it stands, you cannot test all the features of SolidWorks.

If you have difficulty modeling and processing the unfolded elbow, open another question instead. Many have already asked themselves questions on the subject and will be able to help you. You can also start a search, you should find several questions with examples.

2 Likes

Hello BenoƮt,

So I contacted my dealer and explained my problem so that a technician could contact me.

Normally I should have access to all the features.

Thank you.

1 Like