Inserting Attachment into Design Workbook

Hello

I would like to insert a component data sheet in PDF format in the "design binder" of a part.

unfortunately, I made several attempts the file does not appear in the "Design workbook" folder...

Would there be a limitation in the file formats that can be inserted?

Hello

Depending on the help, you can import PDFs:

http://help.solidworks.com/2015/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_displaying_the_design_binder.htm

Is there an error message?

What version of SolidWorks is it? SP5 for 2015 and before, or 2016 SP3?

Is Adobe's version up to date?

Alternatively, you can insert the PDF or an image into the Word file.

I also found a solution here:

This is caused by Protected Mode, a new feature introduced for Adobe Reader X. Upgrading to Adobe Reader X 10.1.1 should address the issue. If Adobe Reader X 10.0 cannot be upgraded, disabling "Protected Mode" in Adobe Reader X 10.0 will allow access to the PDF. "Protected Mode" can be disabled from Edit > Preferences > General > unchecking option "Enable Protected Mode at startup". Please see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html for more information. See also solution S-055324 With Adobe Reader 11, the "enable Protected Mode at startup" can be found under Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced). Once this is unchecked, one can recheck it and the PDF assigns to the design binder just fine

See also:

This is an OLE issue specific to the Windows Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 operating systems.
Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2457836

Download the install hot fix from the link above and the issue should be resolved.

Hello

I just tested a simple slide dropped do the trick.

may the force be with you.

3 Likes

Design Log

A document called the conception.docx  Journal is embedded in SolidWorks documents. It is characterized by the following properties:

• Appears in the Design  Workbook folder in the FeatureManager design tree.
  • Is a Microsoft Word® document.
  • Resembles a technical journal and includes headings such as File Name, Description , and Material. These fields are linked to the document properties and updated when the log is opened. File Name is the actual name of the file, and Description and Material are custom properties of the SolidWorks document.
  • Originally appears as <Empty>, which disappears when you activate the log.
  • Is added to the SolidWorks file when you enable it; therefore, the size of the SolidWorks file is not changed unless you enable the log.
  • Supports both text and embedded images.
  • Can be deleted and is then listed again as <Empty>.
  • Can be printed.

You must have Microsoft Word on your computer to use the Design Log.

Parent topic

FeatureManager Authoring Tree

Related tasks

Viewing the Design Workbook

Editing the Design Log

To edit the design log:

1. In the FeatureManager authoring tree, double-click conception.docx Log in the Design Workbook folder.

If the Design Workbook folder is not visible, right-click the part, assembly, or drawing and select Hidden Objects from the Tree > Design Workbook > conception.docx Log > Open.

2. Type text, paste images, format text, etc.

In Microsoft Office® 2002, you can drag images from the clipboard. In other versions of Microsoft Office, use the Paste command to paste the image from the active window in SolidWorks. You can also paste the images from a screen capture software, image editing software, etc.

3. Close the log.

Changes are saved automatically.

You can attach other documents to SolidWorks documents by adding them to the Design Workbook folder .

Design Log Template

You can specify the location of the design log template in Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations.       In Show folders for, select Design log template to add or remove a location. The default folder for the design log template isdossier_d'installation\lang\langue\.

To edit the design log template:

1. On the File Explorer tab of the task pane, underdossier_d'installation \lang\langue\, open  journal.docx.
  2. Edit the document in Microsoft Word.
  3. Save and close the document.

Your changes appear when you open a new conception.docx Journal in a SolidWorks document.

1 Like

I have SLDWorks 2015 SP5.

Now when I make insertion attempts, it freezes SLDWorks. I have to scratch it.

I tried to download the patch offered by .PL but I got this msg in response: "Sorry, the page you requested is not available."

I got around my problem, instead of putting a pdf I put an image *.jpg... and there it works!

1 Like

Hello

the bug comes from adobe acrobat reader  and the level of protection (enhanced) in "preference", you have to disable some settings for SLDWorks to accept the PDF documents