Installation administrative sw2013

Hello

I am starting to prepare the migration to SolidWorks 2013 -floating- (PS: we are working in SW2012) of our design office (15 workstations on one site and 4 on another site).

From what I have read (see attached), the installation mode via an administrative image has evolved for this version.

Has anyone already done this migration as mentioned above?

I'm looking for tricks or traps to avoid....

installation_sw2013.jpg

For the moment we have only deployed it on one workstation, no administrative installation, so I haven't immersed myself in it!

But I think I'll do as usual, i.e. prepare the administrative installation, test it on one or two workstations, then ask people to launch it one evening, and arrive early the next day to check that there are no problems!

1 Like

Hello

We attempted updating from solidworks 2012 SP4 to SP5 and enterprise PDM with Active Directory Group Policies (GPOs). No worries for the trunk on the other hand impossible to do a correct installation of solidworks, so solution to avoid.

As far as the method with the option editor is concerned, we haven't tried it, but I'd be interested in some feedback.

Hello

You have to download the complete distribution from the publisher.

Then, proceed to create the admin image

Once done, customize the version with the option editor.

The license server is to be done separately. Nothing to do with the admin image. Maybe it's even the 1st thing to do.

Cdlt.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, hello Fernand,

Thank you all for your answers.

If I understood the "novelty" correctly, it's the options editor.

Can we automate the uninstallation of SW2012 with?

I'll look into it during the week.

I had skipped the upgrade of the license manager!!!! Indeed, it is the first thing to do.

Lucas, if you have the administrative image launched directly by the projectors it means that you "upgrade" SW2012 by SW2013 without completely uninstalling the SW2012 pack.

For the upgrade from EPDM 2012 to EPDM 2013, I will probably delay and not do everything at the same time....

I will get back to you if I have any further questions.

Indeed, you have to update the license server first!

Is it a problem if we omit the uninstallation of the previous version?

And with Epdm, I don't know, but with Workgroup, I think you have to update when you change version (impossible to use a Workgroup vault of a different version of the SolidWorks client).

I have always been advised to do a "clean" deinstallation (to the point of deleting the directories in the directory) before reinstalling a new version. This can affect performance. (I also untangle the mycadtools, the 3D connection mouse drivers)

EPDM, it seems to me (but I'm going to get it confirmed), accepts a lower or higher version of SolidWorks.

FYI: the (long) list of tasks from our SW 2011 upgrade to 2012 also includes the 3DVIA and EPDM migration. I had the administrative image prepared by Fernand Pereira (AXEMBLE) to simplify my task and above all to ensure the success: this year no budget so you have to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. 

sw_2012_migration_liste_taches.doc

The SW 2013 License Manager has changed its name?

it became "SW Activation Wizard", it seems weird to me!!!!

dowload_sw.png

I can't find how to change the settings of the admin image manager.

gestionnaire_dimage_admin.png

Clicking on the pencil at the top is enough to change the settings, right?

We have just moved into 2014 thanks to the administrative image, so don't hesitate!

I didn't notice any big changes compared to the previous versions, but I asked each person to launch the administrative image before leaving one evening.

1 Like

And to download the license manager, you need to choose your SW version for your server (32 or 64) and then go to the bottom, as in the attached image.

There you will be able to download all the components one by one and the license manager is called: SolidNetWork License Manager

sw2014.png
1 Like

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't subscribed to the question!

Update scheduled for January 2014.

It will be done in 3 steps:

- SolidNetworks License Manager Update (completed in late 2013)

- Updated EPDM 2012 to EPDM 2013

On this point, it is our IT department that will be involved because it remains quite technical:

• SQL Database Backup
  • Database Server Upgrade
  • Upgrade archive server site N°1
  • Archive server upgrade site N°2
  • Upgrade of a first client workstation
  • Updating the database from the 1st client
  • Update of all client workstations (Viewers, Contributor and Cad editor)

- Upgrade to SolidWorks 2013 (15 days after the EPDM update)

The administrative picture is almost ready:

I still have to optimize the settings for sldAdminOptionEditor.exe and do a first test.

Thank you for all your answers.