I would like to make my spring elastic on Solidworks 2017

I created a 3D model of my spring but I can't apply the properties of a spring to it so that it can compress and be relaxed as it should. 

Please help

It is a new feature for 2020 to be able to make a component flexible:

Flexible components

Hello

Otherwise you can create 3 configurations for a decompressed state then a semi-compressed state then the last one in compressed so play with the configurations according to your needs...

2 Likes

You can also create a spring between 2 planes, and it is these 2 planes that you constrain on your other piece. You will just have to update each time your part is moved so that the spring adapts to the length.

Cdt.

2 Likes

Hello

To complete the information of Max59 (which we salute)

Be careful to select the component  and select  Make the part flexible

not to be confused with almost the same function used as for the assemblies

@Tous it will be interesting for someone to test the flexible component in the context of a flexible assembly.

Indeed, you should not abuse the flexible component function because it quickly bananas and it turns into a nightmare. This flexible assembly function is practical but not great if you don't have the prudence of a Sioux and the cunning of the Apache.

2 Likes

To best manage the movement of a spring 

I'm attaching a walkthrough via this tutorial

https://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/cr%C3%A9er-un-ressort-variable-avec-deplacement-realiste-sous-solidworks-0

@+ ;-)

1 Like

@fab camp , it is possible to set the automatic update, but it is likely that this will only be updated when the movement is stopped, even for a microsecond. To be seen in fact, since when you do kinematics as standard, the parts are updated in real time if the kinematics are not too complicated and the movement is too long, otherwise there is a kind of saturation effect of the memory (or of the calculation if the movement is too fast or too frequent).   ;-)

Kind regards

Fab camp, you have to design the spring in the assembly as you describe it because otherwise the spring won't compress because you have to give a spacing between the two planes in a part.

1 Like