Reading files in a newer Solidworks version

Hello 

I have solidworks 2011, 

I need to resume a folder started on a newer version than mine 

It concerns about ten files (not heavy)

I don't know the version but I am unable to open them with my version 

I give a file (attachment) from this development already to know which version newer than mine can open it.

Then how do I make a file developed on a more recent version (e.g. 2014) readable on my 2011 version.

Good reception 

Yves 

capotlargap203_.sldprt

Hello, this is impossible unless you save your file in a universal format such as step stl or other.

2 Likes

We have the same version, so I couldn't answer you for the version of your play.

On the other hand, for "Then how do I make a file developed on a more recent version (e.g. 2014) readable on my 2011 version."

The answer is: it's impossible! 

You can trick the creator of the file to create it in STEP (but you lose your design tree). You can also redraw it if you're lucky enough to have a quote plan

And that's about it I think

The other possibility is to have an understanding leader who agrees to buy the 2015 version (or still be under contract. But if you're on 2011 I have a doubt ^^)

It's 2014 and it's a step file that was imported

capture_capotlargap203.jpg
1 Like

I'll come back to my question, because I just tried to open my attachment and I succeeded, but the document only has an imported part

I just tried with this one below (long hood) and here: impossible to open it

hoodlong.sldprt

Converted to WWTP

capotlargap203_.step

so it's also good from 2014 

I converted it to AP203 step

hoodlongap203.step

Thank you Bart , Gerald , coin37coin, 

well, I'm going to drop this folder, I'm stuck with my version, well not quite I can switch to the 2012 version, but no more, because more means that I also have to change my PC for a story of 32 to 64 bits (or the other way around) according to Cadware. 

So I'm waiting for more fruitful times because I'm the boss, and I'm doing with my means

Have a good day everyone

Yves  

2 Likes

Hello

I have created a tutorial to convert SolidWorks files to STEP for free:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/convertir-gratuitement-des-fichiers-solidworks-sldprt-sldasm-en-step

There is indeed no possibility of finding the identical construction tree...

and what is found in hidden files

cockerelinterlong04-15.step

Hello

with SW 2012 I can open it, if you wish I will register it for you in STEP.

Cdt.

Fred

1 Like

Hello

The first file capotlargap203_.slprt is at most from 2013: I can open it.

For the second capotlong.sldprt, it's a future version, so at least 2014.

@benoit, weird when I double click on capotlargap203 it doesn't ask me anything, directly it puts it on me in 2014. because usually I have a window that opens for the old versions of the file and asks me in which version I want to use it

Hello

Indeed, these files were saved in SW2014. For the 1st the original version is SW2011 then SW2014. For the 2nd, the initial version is older, SW2007 and then SW2014.

See attached image for the long hood. This information was extracted via "VersionHistory" from myCADtools.

Kind regards

capotlong1.png
3 Likes

@jmsavoyat, the first file sent in the question (capotlargap203_.sldprt) is not in 2014, I open it with SolidWorks 2013! (see image)

screenshot1375.jpg

Indeed Benoit on this "capotlargap203_" file, it's SW2011 and nothing after that!

I don't see why @badts.yhf can't open it with its SW2011 version!

version.png
2 Likes

Attention: Fred 

Thank you for your answer, what file did you open with the 12?

the capotlarg or the capotlong?????

do you know how to send it to me in Edraving?

badts.yhf@nordnet.fr

Thanks in advance