Extreme Slowness SW 2014 Mega Assembly (+20,000 pieces)

We got SW 2014 and we've never had so many problems with this version in mega assemblies (+20,000 parts)

Problem: - Extreme slowness (delayed zoom, delayed function, almost impossible metering)

- Graphical bug

-Crash

I tried all the modes and combinations possible: solved, lightened, speedpack, great design management.... nothing helps!

My question: What combination should you use (processor, ram, graphics card) to have a high-performance system with a mega assembly in resolved mode? 

I want the answer from someone who works with huge assemblies with SW2014 if possible, thanks.

Solidworks: 2014:2.0: x64 OS

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional:Service Pack 1:x64

Computer: Dell Inc.:P recision WorkStation T3500

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3565 @ 3.20GHz [Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5] (4 processors)

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Ram:12285

Hard Disk: 500:SCSI

SolidWorks Preformance Test (sec) (overall= cpu + Graphics + I/O)

Overall=84.2    CPU= 44.5   Graphics=12.2    I/O=27.5  Render=34.6 

1 Like

All the pieces are registered in 2014

Hello

your position seems to match the need for Solidworks.

Could it not be by chance, the display settings, which would be set to "realview graphics"? If yes, disable this option.

See photo for + details.

mode.png
1 Like

But an assembly of + 100,000 parts seems a bit big to me, doesn't it???

Is it not possible to split this assembly into several sub-assemblies?

2 Likes

Hello

The configuration is rather muscular.

On https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/shareyourscore.htm the best T3500s are slower (see attached image)!

But I don't know if all the tests are reliable, because there are very low values in this table and the configurations of this one don't seem that far from yours!

After that, maybe wanting to open an assembly of 100,000 parts in solved is simply not possible!

performance_test_meilleur_t3500.jpg

Testing with the Locking Bar

on the parts

Look at these tutorials

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/gestion-des-gros-assemblages-solidworks

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/barre-de-blocage-sous-solidworks

@+ ;-)

I'm also skeptical about opening an assembly of 100,000 parts in Resolved.

Was it in previous versions?

Where are the parts located (locally or on a server)?

1 Like

Hello

You seem to be saying if I understand correctly that you didn't have the problem before SW 2014.

Which version were you on?

On the same job?

Have you moved your files?

@+

1 Like

Do you have a flashtip popping up in your taskbar, indicating a lack of resources?

If that's it, a spr ticket was opened on this subject.

Since 2014, they must have messed up something in memory management, because you're not the only one to complain about it.

But still, isn't 100,000 pieces a bit much?! ^^

Or change your network cable lol

Grinding: The assembly has +20,000 parts

The error comes from the fact that Assembly Xpert crashes my SW every time. So I created a BOM and then added it all up in Excel to know my total number.

1- No Realview enabled

2- The assembly is divided into fifteen sub-assemblies, certain of 6000 pcs.

3- The 2013 version was more stable, but not better in the context of mega assembly.

4- The coins are on a server

5- No tooltip appears when opening or while I push the machine all the way up.

1 Like

Hello

I have a hard time understanding.

You say that you were already having trouble opening this type of very heavy assembly under SW 2013. Why do you think this would change with SW 2014?

The 2 versions, despite some improvements, are quite similar.

I rather think that SW is unfortunately not comfortable with very large assemblies and that it is not designed for that.

It seems to me that this is why some companies were switching to Catia which obviously manages these complex assemblies much better...

2 Likes

Hello

So you tried with the SpeedPak? For example for the assembly of 6000 parts it would be a good start, also using the large design mode.

But of course the SpeedPak is far from the solved mode!

20000 pieces, that reassures me.

I stayed in 2013, but I don't think there was a revolution in the management of large assemblies on the 2014 version of SW.

Maybe you have to look at the network link to hope to improve a little.

If you are working on this project alone, you may be able to make a copy to your local disk which will always be faster than the network.

Personally, with a 1GB network, I saw a clear difference between a file on a network and a local one.

When we talk about crashes, graphical bugs, delays in zooming and other manipulations, just a small rectangle that is displayed when rotating and then returning to normal when you let go of the middle button... or simply don't come back.... one of the first tests to be carried out is to activate the "Emulate OpenGl functions" option (it can be found in the performance options, and can only be activated if no file is opened...

Hello

So for an almost identical config no worries in sw2014 SP1 on a Dell Precision T3500

The small differences I have:

2 300GB discs in raid 15000 towers for the OS and software part (original disc)

1 256GB SSD disc for the project folder and split to have the library.

Graphics card nvidia quadro 3800

The big problem on this machine is the location of the ECC memory sticks. Depending on the location, this slows down the system and causes crashes (especially in the case of a dual processor).

The solution is to mix the strips in such a way as to have a balance in the slots and if possible avoid slot 3 if the number of strips is less than the number of slots.

The opening of the 5000 parts assembly is not a problem if you set to light.

Hello

I also have a T3500 and we also work on our company's network.

When you get to large assemblies, there is a lot of background work to be done.

Here are some ways to improve the fluidity of large assemblies:

- check that some components have not lost their paths (this generates high latencies because SW is trying to find them);

- Look at the calculation time of the parts (you can save a lot by removing all the functions with end condition until the next surface, repetition function, etc...)

- Complex assembly can help but with some constraints;

- Currently I'm testing the block bar but too early to give an opinion.

Good luck

1 Like

I would have put the system and the logs on a primary SSD

We save a lot of time

http://www.axemble.com/sites/default/files/ftp//mycadstore/guide-des-composants-hp.pdf

on my station I have the system and log on a 250 GIGA SSD and storage on x 500giga 15000 rpm disks

the blocking bar is great (totally absent reconstruction time)

As said before, avoid repetitions and objects link to libraries, remove all links

If all

1. Shares are saved with lock bar
  2. the sub-assemblies itou
  3. The assembly also

The reconstruction time should be very short in time

nothing prevents you from opening afterwards

the parties concerned for modification

after (unblocking of the bar in the right of the said assemblies or parts)

I posted a tutorial for the blocking bar

@+ ;-)

@gt22 the two disc 15000 was originally supplied with the machine bought second-hand and modified for one of my customers. So little investment in the machine apart from the RAM and the SSD.

It remains a respectable and stable machine for a small price

In my personal config I run with 2 SSDs 500GB for the system and 250GB for the short projects and 2 good old WD green and blue discs for archiving

See this link Benchmarck

http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/

A simple reading of the comparison

allows you to better understand the interest of putting the system and logs on an SSD

nothing prevents you from copying and transferring the systems and logs that are on the normal disk to the SSD

and put the SSD in primary

A monstrous time saver

very beautiful your configue @ SEPM

but why 2 SSDs for the system you have several operating systems on the same PC

@+ ;-)

There are several of us who work in a network on different subassemblies of the main assembly, so a copy to the hard disk is impossible.

I've attached an example of the recurring graphical bug that we didn't have with the 2013 version, so this is basically the reason why I find SW 2014 to be inadequate and brings me more problems than solutions for a fairly high price.

probleme_graphique.jpg