Yield strength S355 steel

Hello @tous, 

According to solidworks it's 275 MPa 

It seems to me that this is not correct:$ am I right?

Thanks in advance, 

Hello

Look at this link:

https://matieredumonde.com/acier-s355/

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello Fred, 

So this property varies from 355 to 275 depending on the thickness and that the one indicated by solidworks is the most unfavorable, 

On the other hand, I can't find an explanation  for the S235 and S275 where the limit indicated is the highest (most common) :$ ? 

screenshot_20220210_110916.jpg

Hello @Lynk 

The value given by solidworks is not made according to the thickness more or less thick but according to the thinnest (min thickness).

If you need more precision, you can create your own material using the table you attached. So if you always work < or = at 16 you use SW or if you work with larger thicknesses then you create your material with all the known codes and characteristics.

However, pay attention to two points: the shades and at least the direction of lamination and the maximum width. In addition, the standards are for flat products. Beware of this trap when doing PEF simulation if you don't have a short CS.

[HS ON ]

True story not seen on TV! The direction of rolling leads to surprises for stamping, bending. The optimization and laser nesting on sheet metal of 12 meant that not all parts had the same fiber orientation. As a result, under somewhat borderline conditions, a certain number of parts did not form correctly and were rejected at the inspection.

[HS /Off]

3 Likes

Hello zozo

I was convinced that according to the designation S355JR. No. 355 indicates the yield strength until @fred refers to the variation as a function of thickness o0.

And precisely zozo and starting from this principle of thickness, the properties indicated by solidworks concerning the S235, 275 are for a thin thickness but not for the S355 which is defined according to a strong thickness, there must be an explanation?.

Concerning the CS profiles, I searched on the net but in vain, nothing conclusive, so I contacted a BET who does the structural calculations according to the eurocode standard, soft robot, the E36 properties is indeed 355MPa  whether it is sheet metal, raw or profile and invariable according to the thickness!

Thank you again for the advice, concerning the phenomenon of the sheet metal fibers we do not do the stamping, but I have noticed it for the bending operations, personally I think that it is inevitable given the dimensions of the raw sheet which does not exceed 2m in width especially if you want to avoid welding and its constraints;) 

1 Like

Hello Lynk

Thank you for your positive feedback.  ;)

Your topic is very interesting and instructive for everyone. To tell the truth, I had never asked myself the question because my systems do not require advanced technologies such as nuclear or high-pressure systems with high mechanical stress.

I would like to have the opinion of @m.blt who as a teacher must be able to enlighten us.

Kind regards

1 Like