Smoothing with splines in SW

Good evening; I'm trying to create a "warhead" type shape (nothing military, it's to make a steam engine fairing in modeling) using SW's "Bossing/Smoothed Base" function. Sketch 1 (E1 / front plane) has a sketch composed of straight segments and a semicircle: E2 (top plane) is composed of a spline and straight segments; finally E3 (right-hand plane) is supposed to be the guide curve, also a spline (see image).

Of course, the smoothing fails. In a previous version, E2 (top plane) was also composed of line segments and a semicircle - and the smoothing worked. I deduce that it's the presence of the spline in E2 that makes me swarm. But why and how to correct the (warhead) course ;-) ); I don't know.

I read the posts (including the one of the violin back by GT22), I forced the "proportional" option as well (different combinations), failure as well.

Your insights to create this volume will be precious. Good evening and good Sunday.

Cdlt, jeff baillot

ogive.jpg

Hello

Which version are you under and can you share your piece so that we can test?

2 Likes

Top-down view

of each plan

( sketches)

@+;-)

2 Likes

Hello Jean-François

Do you want to make the part out of sheet metal or thin material or do you want the whole shape to be solid.

I didn't have any difficulty in making the play. Each sketch have three lines

There! I made it totally full while waiting for your answer to the above question.

Kind regards

2019-11-24_14_01_13-solidworks_premium_2019_sp1.0_-_piece1.jpg
2 Likes

Hi @ Zozo well done ;-)

try to put color on your sketch lines it's more meaningful 

Thank you

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Well, maybe that's more explicit.

ogive_maquette_feroviaire_2019-11-24_17_42_22-solidworks_premium_2019_sp1.0_-_ogive_chaudiere.sldprt.jpg

@GT22

[HS ON]

I never figured out how to have the color sketch lines. I manage to do this inside the sketch but the color no longer appears once the sketch is closed. I manage to color the faces as in the image above but not the sketch. (RHAAAaaaaaa)

As I start from the principle that if I can't use a function in 10 minutes (20 minutes if someone explains it to me a little)  it's bad so in this case I don't try to color my sketches anymore.

However, as I'm "Open mind", if you tell me how to do it, it will be an opportunity for me to decetinize  myself hihihi and see the screw in color

Thank you

[HS /OFF]

once your sketch is created and a tricolor shot so sketch closed

you click on your sketch via the right button

You will find with a drop-down list where you will find sketch color

You have to select the color you want

@+ ;-)

I would have liked  to take screenshots but impossible on the list option of the feature manager

Thank you GT22 and Zozo_mp

Well the boy must be completely drunk but no matter how much I try all the possible combinations, nothing to do,-( I attach the file (SW17).

Could any of you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Good night. JeffB

ogive.sldprt

Good evening

it's your sketch three that is not closed, you are missing the vertical line, ditto for the second

Kind regards

2 Likes

Ok well seen Zozo_mp ... yet the segments are present in the 2 sketches but they do not seem to be taken into account ...   weird ;-(

One last question: the kind of "line of force" (2 green handles and a thin black line) that appears when you activate the smoothing function, what is it used for and how do you use it? I can't find an explanation for its use.

Oh and another thing that bothers me about spline handles:  a) it seems that we can only constrain the direction of the vector on a vertical or horizontal, not on any axis of direction - is there a solution to constrain the vector on any axis?; and b) how to make a spline handle symmetrical so that the length of the vector is identical on both sides of the point of contact with the spline itself.

Thank you very much and have a good evening.

JeffB

Hello @jeffB

for your splines you have to distinguish between 2D splines and 3D splines. You understood that 2D splines can only be piloted in two dimensions unlike 3D   splines ;-)

You have several ways to pilot your splines.

I had made a mini tutorial on the subject some time ago but as the versions of SW have evolved, we would have to add the new possibilities. Hoping that some tips from this document will be useful to you. I put it in PDF because not all the colleagues on the forum have Word.

For the smoothing function I'll answer you a little later.  ;-)

Kind regards

maitriser_les_splines.pdf
3 Likes

I answer your next question

((( One last question: the kind of "line of force" (2 green handles and a thin black line) that appears when you activate the smoothing function, what is it used for and how is it used? I can't find an explanation on how to use it. ;)))

I made you a mini tutorial on the why and how of these handles. Tell me if this suits you as an explanation.

Kind regards

premiere_approche_du_lissage.pdf
1 Like

Zozo_mp,

A super big thank you for the time spent making these really clear and precise tutorials.

Thank you again for your help.

FYI I managed to do what I wanted with my spline smoothings, which for some reason, didn't work the first time. See attachment.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the construction lines are not appreciated by the smoothing.

Have a good evening.

JeffB

plm221car_191125.jpg