Smoothing a straightening:)

I take the liberty of creating a new topic even if it still concerns the "shifting" of the same file .obj my previous topic:)

This time my problem is that I'm not really satisfied with the "sharpness" obtained on my straightening. In fact, I'd like to remove the small imperfections of the artist who works with his polygons, and get something more industrial.

So here is what I have and that I would like to "smooth": 

So the ScanTo3D curve wizard has helped me a lot so far, I was able to extract the following curves from my mesh: 

And as a result, I have a bit of trouble seeing if my problem is that I used too many curves, or if it's that they have too many defects?

Or maybe I shouldn't have tried to mount this "column" this way, maybe there is another way to do it?

I think it comes from the flaws of the model (or the accuracy).

We can indeed try to use fewer curves.

Note: you can try exporting by changing the export settings to simplify the surfaces! 

=> Export and reimport (in STL or IGES or ParaSolid or STEP)

Edit: a short tutorial for importing STLs (which allows the import of large files, for which SolidWorks usually crashes):

https://vimeo.com/24805708

Unfortunately, the result was also disappointing:(

Yet there are like 2 times fewer curves..

Sounds a little better though, doesn't it?

Yes, but the fact that there is the slightest bump makes me think that I am not going in the right direction.

In fact a friend made me this model on 3ds-like, and my goal is to port it to solidworks to make a plastic shell of this shape. I have no idea how it goes in the world of plastics processing, but I imagine that if I don't have a completely smooth model it won't work, right?

I don't know if people on the forum work in the field and could give me some information.

Look at your remains.

After if you want this smoother shape, why not "cut" it and recreate it since you have the guide curves?

2 Likes

Maybe by limiting the number of curves as much as possible you will get a smoother rendering?!

@opiep27 what are the remains? Otherwise I didn't really understand your proposal to "cut".

@r.Paulin, would you like me to reduce the number of curves even more? The problem is that after I don't really respect the original shape anymore which is not just a circle that turns into something ovaloid, there is a "flared" effect in the middle.

I would have liked something that would have standardized the curves a little bit in an intelligent way to make it a little more symmetrical in fact. Maybe I should do the curves on 1/4 of the volume, and then duplicate them by symmetry on the other 3 quarters, and do the volume like that?

I'm adding 2 screenshots of the original model, and its superposition with my smoothing (I put the volume in rubber color so that you can see clearly, and sorry for the sphere that hits the inlay :D). 

I have the impression that you are reaching the limits of Solidworks with your part.

You must have a problem with tangencies that overlap a little in all directions and conflict.... This is usually where you are happy to have a very good software for surface (and as a result, you spend 3 days on modeling a part.

If you have the opportunity, have you tried to create your piece with Creo or Catia? (or another software specifically dedicated to the surface. But I don't know too much)

1- In the molding tools, you have: analysis of the draft, this allows you to see if your part is easy to remove according to your parting line.

2- Cut: according to the image, you have a shape under this piece (sphere?). So once you have your guide curves. You take the sketch of the intersection between the sphere and the part to be obtained to remove it (or you hide the imported body). And from the guide curves, you remake the part that poses you pb. Basically, you quickly redraw your part.

Well the draft is not at my level, even after watching a video where it seems super simple, I can't do the same again:D

On the other hand I am trying to redo the smoothing using the guide curves extracted by the ScanTo3D curve wizard (in "section" mode), I tried to extract 8 of them (2 for the straight plane, 2 for the face plane, and 2 per diagonal), The result is much better in terms of smoothing.

However, since I would like the shape obtained to be symmetrical, I think it would be wiser to recover only 3 splines (1 straight, 1 face, 1 diagonal) and to obtain the other 5 by symmetry. 

The problem is that I haven't found how to make a symmetry of these splines. I guess it's because I have 3D sketches and not 2D (which is not very logical since these curves were obtained via the curve wizard in "section" mode, and it cuts the mesh following a plane).

So if someone can either explain to me how to make a symmetry of the spline in the 3D sketch, or transform the 3D sketch into a 2D sketch (since then I manage to make a symmetry in a 2D sketch), it would allow me to finalize this part (at least I hope).

To switch from a 3D sketch to a 2d sketch, see here:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/95718

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=173207

On the other hand, indeed I think it's impossible to make a symmetry of a 3D entity in a sketch...

2 Likes

Don't you have another method to propose? Because this one doesn't seem to work.

As I said, these curves were cut via the "section" mode, since it uses planes to create the curves, they must be in 2D, even if they are in a 3D sketch (unless I accidentally switched them to 3D by making their ends tangent to the 2 profiles used for smoothing?).

So I told myself that I was going to make a 2D sketch on the same plane that I used to get the spline, I created the sketch, and copy/paste the spline, but it doesn't have the same head at all, which makes no sense...

Well I think I managed to do pretty much what I wanted to do in terms of symmetry, by following this video: https://youtu.be/XCf-pfeHK_8

I still find it a bit dirty to have to go through a surface, to recover a curve...