Professional bending software with SW (SHEET METAL)

Hello.

I  am currently working in a precision sheet metal company.

I mostly use Solidworks and we own, high-tech laser, bending machines, punching machines, oxy-fuel cutting.

I work on solidworks files, but also on step and igs. The assemblies we are talking about can contain from a few laserized and bent and welded parts to almost 200 parts. We use software that allows us once the part is flat to register it under DXF and to retrace the plaice lines manually according to the ext and int dimensions, loss at the plaice etc .... My question is simple, is there a faster way (in particular thanks to a bend recognition/simulation software) to go from a SW, STEP or IGS file to a flat part which can therefore be laser or oxy-fuel with the right devellopé following a library of V/matrix.

To be simpler, I have a folded part in STEP, is there a way to unfold it and save it in DXF once flat, keeping the folded lines.

I thank you.

Do you use the sheet metal module in your manipulations?

1 Like

For solidworks files via the sheet metal function, no problem

and for DXF in unfolded and laser cutting

You can pass your SOLIDWORKS part file via Draftsight for free 

for the WWTP it's not the same thing

you need to be able to convert this file which is basically in surface to volume

so be careful when exporting the step

once in volume convert to sheet metal and draftsight

and the circle is complete

@ +

1 Like

I use the SW sheet metal module entirely but on a STEP or IGS file that is sent to us apart from sending it back to SW and redetecting all the folds (usually manually, folded by folded) I don't see, that's why I wanted to know if it was possible to use (and which?) a bend recognition and simulation software and then register the flat part in DXF to send it to the SDD of the laser and the bending machine with the right devellopé and the right bending lines.

Thank you GT22 and Alain for your answers. We do subcontracting and the files we receive are in step and igs and apart from saving them in solid and redoing all the folds I don't see.

Hello

I work in a company with a similar machine park. 4 bending machines from 2 to 8m and 3 laser machines from 3 to 5kW. We have a small Topsworks module  that is grafted onto Solisworks and converts Solidwoks files to geo (laser file with fold lines). This little add-on includes the sheet metal settings that you put in Solisworks.

1 Like

And this module would be specific to all the machines in your fleet or does it exist in a paid or free license by following a Ve/matrix library. I know that Amada has modules like SHEETWORKS", "V factory" etc ... etc which allows, from a bent sheet metal part, to automatically make even from a step or igs file a bending and laser/oxy program.

Yes, it's a paid license and it works for us because we have all the machines from the same supplier. and to modify a STEP or other file I do the following:

Here is one of my tutorials

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/2d/comment-changer-les-rayons-de-pliage-d-un-step

and here's how Topsworks works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9CZfkYpyE0

your files that are sent to you are flat or in 3D

if they are in 3D and in volume and you can save them in solidworks part

just convert it to sheet metal and you only have one fac to determine the folds are automatically detected

you don't have to detect all the 1/1 plaice

SW does it all by itself

otherwise in specif sheet metal that works with SW

http://www.assyscad.com/fabrication-tolerie-SolidNEST.html

http://www.exactflat.com/

among others

I thank you for your answer. I'll see the tutorial of this step.

However, some files that are sent to us are "cut from the mass", i.e. the customers do not use the sheet metal of their CAD, and in this case, could your module, or other module, recognize by simulation part by part or recognition these bent parts, even if we have to make cuts, splinters etc ...   in an assembly and do it automatically? I know that, as in your case, machine brands like yours offer this kind of specific module. But can they, with different machines, work?

When I say cut from the mass, it's because to make a "90 fold" a customer draws a sketch on his face, and extrusion for example:) ( if you know what I mean  )