Solidworks 2016 Pro Update + LICENSE

I would like to have a clear procedure for an update from solidworks 2012 to 2016 pro knowing that I am stuck at the "download and install" step.

I have an error that appears telling me that the previous version was installed from an administrative image  and that I would have to remove all the components to continue the installation .

Not wanting to burn the licenses I turn to you!!

Kind regards

erreur.png

Hello,

In the worst case, I would advise you to release your license(s) on the workstation and then completely uninstall 2012 and install 2016. At least you'd have a clean version

For the license, you have to go to the small question mark at the top right, click on "license transfer" and follow the procedure. On the other hand, you need internet access on the computer, otherwise it's shit

2 Likes

Already:

Are you on a fixed license or a floating license?

1 Like

Thank you but I would only  like to do an update! I'm a technician and I'm not going to mess around with user licenses, I just want a working method to upgrade solidworks in 2016.

I have fixed licenses dedicated to each user.

Hello

From experience, it's better to uninstall and reinstall everything cleanly, especially with 4 versions apart.

Knowing that if all the personal configs are on the network it is not a problem.

At worst since the first install was done in admin image, you just have to do the same thing again in 2016 so install in admin image but much more comlpex to manage.

@+

2 Likes

I am also a simple technician @david.michel-ext.
And from experience, my info services have never been able to install Solidworks correctly (a software they don't know and don't want to know). And, in general, if I try to do an update and it already crashes at that level ... I don't dare to imagine in the use afterwards.

That's why I prefer to uninstall and reinstall. At least this will be clean, Solidworks will be where to go to get its bits of programs, there will be nothing lying around, etc etc.

4 Likes

If you're installing a 2016, why not ask your dealer's hotline for help?

otherwise, as the others said, transfer the license (this will avoid taking it in case of bad handling) 2012.

Do a new 2016 installation rather than a 2012-2016 update.

You will have to check that the new 2016 installation does not point to the 2012 settings. (Still a mystery of sw to me!)

Hello,

Before uninstalling, I advise you to go through the SolidWorks utility (help to copy the settings)
to save all your settings for each workstation and each user.

Once SW2016 is installed, use the same utility to restore your settings.

This saves keyboard shortcuts, menu customizations, system options, toolbar layout, and 2 or 3 more tricks.

Good trip

1 Like

Hello

I don't want to confuse you but to come back to the previous message, avoid exporting the 2012 configuration to apply it to a 2016 version

I don't know if there are any problems with this but often when you have a bug one of the first things to do is to reset the default settings (who doesn't know the famous manip in the registry rename the Solidworks folder in HKCURRENT_USER\software\Solidworks\?)

Otherwise like the others I would say uninstalled complete (I attached a document provided by the hotline for the complete uninstalled)

desinstallation_complete.docx

Hello

I don't want to confuse you but to come back to the previous message, avoid exporting the 2012 configuration to apply it to a 2016 version

I don't know if there are any problems with this but often when you have a bug one of the first things to do is to reset the default settings (who doesn't know the famous manip in the registry rename the Solidworks folder in HKCURRENT_USER\software\Solidworks\?)

Otherwise like the others I would say uninstalled complete (I attached a document provided by the hotline for the complete uninstalled)

And for the installation:

http://www.lynkoa.com/sites/default/files/guide_du_concepteur_-_edition_3_2016_instal.pdf_2.pdf

desinstallation_complete.docx