Materials for soft jaws

Hello for a BTS project, I have to put soft jaws, in order to hold plastic tubes, what materials do you recommend for soft jaws? Alu? Steel? And why? if possible with reference, Thank you!

for plastic the best a strap vise according to the diameter of the tubes

See this page for bits (among others)

http://www.dolex.fr/outils-serrage/outillages-divers/accessoires-mors/

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Thank you! But it's a bit that I had to design myself, so it has a very specific shape:)

but if you look a little you will find the material references of these said bits

so it's up to you to apply the appropriate material

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Good evening Wolf

Let's go back to the b a to BA of mechanics.

The soft jaws have the particularity of being able to be turned to the shape of the desired piece.

This practice is very common when you don't have fragile parts or with shapes for which the grip area is too small not to risk taking everything in the bulb (or worse).

Boring the soft jaw to the appropriate diameter allows you to have a clamping area multiplied by 10 or more and to avoid a whole bunch of machining problems, especially on parts with very thin walls.

The question of aluminum or steel is of no importance since the plastic tube will always be less solid. What matters is that the piece does not slip and that the bit does not scratch it. I've always seen the use of soft steel jaws even for plastic that already had G6 or tighter ratings.

I already hear objections like yes but I have several diameters and well you have to consider soft jaws as consumable tools and therefore a good turner or a good miller to a whole collection of soft jaws.

I would point out to my very experienced colleagues that the applicant does not give any indication of the diameters of these tubes. So if it happens, a pincer work would be better indicated.

Kind regards

6 Likes

Hello

@ Zozo_mp |  Nothing to add all is said.

may the force be with you.

2 Likes