Drawing, Part and Movement

Hello

I rarely work with a component library. I frequently have to take a part that has already been made, apply a modification to it, change its name (file name).

We decided to segment the projects entirely (except for supplier parts in the libraries).

Where I get stuck is to follow the drawings of the piece. My goal is not to have to redo the drawings (especially on the side!, the views can be managed by templates).

• I know the pack and go. It has these limitations. Useful if you have an entire set to use in a new project, but if you do piece by piece according to the needs that come in... it doesn't matter.
  • The "insert components" or "replace a component" functions are not usable for me because the plans do not follow (Unless it is possible?)
  • I could once the name of the room was changed, tell him the layout of the old name, make a copy with the new name, change the origin of the different views,,, all this is too long...

Thank you for your advice

Julian

Hello

I don't see at first glance how pack and go doesn't play to do piece by piece (unless there are modifications along the way on the same project on parts not identified at the beginning).

As a very basic solution, I would say to make a save under the targeted drawing and then having the assembly open as well as the drawing, make a save under the part. The links will thus be updated (do not ask him to do the analysis of the use cases to avoid unwanted updates) in the plan and the assembly.

Another less "raw" solution is to create a copy of the drawing and then once opened, click on a view and select replace model. If the modified model is derived from the initial model with little modified geometries, the dimensions will remain normally.

3 Likes

Hello

in the meantime I found this

https://www.lynkoa.com/en/forum/import-export-formats-neutres/comment-retrouver-un-fichier-solid-work-%C3%A0-partir-dun-plan-apr%C3%A8s-?page=0#answer-

It's a solution, but maybe there is even more efficiency?

Hello

The packAndGo works very well on a part and its drawing if these are stored in the same folder, it also allows you to change the name of the file as well as the destination folder...

Otherwise it is also possible to do Ctrl+C on the part and plan files, then a Ctrl+V in the destination folder and then Rename the 2 files using the Rename function of Solidworks Explorer.

You should also look at the MyCadTools tools in which there is probably a utility allowing you to make "smart" project copying.

Kind regards

1 Like

Thanks to all your ideas and links, I was able to build a method that has the advantage of

make few clicks,

Allows you to do everything in the software's work environment without going for a walk.

1. Use the "component inserts" or "replace a component" functions at will.
  2. "Make Independent" Save in New Project
  3. right click "open drawing": it can't find it and opens an explorer window
  4. Find the drawing to bring back, right click "copied" and then pasted into the directory of the new project
  5. Rename the drawing directly (without the solidworks tool) and put the new file name
  6. "Copy" the directory path of the new project
  7. "Click reference" enter the new name of the part and "paste" the path.

I don't think the pack and go is more effective for single parts

Thank you for your help

1 Like