Unique drawing model? SolidWorks

Hello 

My company has basemaps for each format from A4 to A0 in horizontal and vertical.

I try to apply different layers for dimensions, cut mark, ... on top of these backgrounds.

My problem is the following: I open my drawing template without selecting a paper format, I modify my layers according to the needs and I change the general layer to "according to the standard". When I open a new drawing, the document property layers are affected  , however, the global layer is no longer on "according to standard". Except if I do the same process but by selecting a paper size and opening that specific format, it works. My question is: Is it possible to create a single template for layers, which can work for all available formats?

Thank you in advance for your help.

You have to differentiate between template (drwdot) and basemap (slddrt).
The template is the file called when you do file/new. The template defines the parameters found in the "Document Properties" tab and visibly the definition of the layers and contains a background.
The background is more about the visual aspect (there is the cartridge, the border, etc.).

So you need to edit your template file.

3 Likes

Hello

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I understood the nuance between the two. I think it's the way I modify my model that's not the right one.

I proceed as follows: File > New > Drawing and when choosing the format I exit via the red arrow (see attached image) then I assign my layers and finally I right-click on the sheet > modify the layer > "According to the standard". I save my model in (drwdot) format .

Following this process, when I open a new document via this drawing template, the base layer is directly on a created layer for example "Dimensioning" and not "According to the standard".

Do you think this is the right process or is there something that escapes me completely?

capture.png

I arrived at a more or less acceptable solution.

I define my parameters, save everything in (slddrt) on the server so that my colleagues have the same one and when opening a plan file resets the layer to "according to the standard" and it works no matter the format. The only problem is that I would like the "according to the standard" to be selected as soon as the file is opened.

A priori, I would say that you have the right method.
Are you sure to open the template file you saved?

Hello

Not the problem with my company's document templates. If I change layers and save as drwdot, as soon as I open a file from that template, the layer is the same as the one selected when saving.

Which version of SW?

Hello

We use SW 2017.

When creating a skin standard, it is possible to save it to an external file, but is it possible to define the basic selected standard without having to go looking for it manually?

Good evening

Always the same, by saving a document template that is set up as you want it and a basemap template that is used in that document template.

Once done, all the settings are identical to the creation of a new file from this model(s).

1 Like