Modeling a faucet?

Hello

I am a high school teacher and I am currently supervising a high school group on a CAD project.

We are working on a project for a national 3D modeling competition. To be modelled, we need to model a tap located within the premises of our establishment, of which here is a photo:

Robinet

To carry out this modelling we created sketches from the photos taken of the tap, then made 3 bossing/smoothing functions between the closed sketches at the base of the push button, at the base of the wall and at the bottom end of the tap. Here is the result:

Modèle 3D du Robinet

The problem is that the smoothing function doesn't allow you to create a volume from 3 closed sketches, only 2 at a time, hence the hole in our model. I am reaching the maximum of my knowledge in 3D modeling, which is why we are calling on you. Is there a function, a trick that allows you to make a model from 3 closed sketches?

Thank you in advance,

Nicholas.

1 Like

Hello

Have you tried without smoothing, with two revolutions of the main shapes and a variable leave?

Unfortunately yes and the shapes are too irregular to obtain a satisfactory result thanks to this method. 

something like that?

see attached file SW 2012

@+

robinet_presto_nicolas.sldprt
7 Likes

It looks very good, and with a smoothing function...  No way to open the file from home,  no solidworks, I'll study it tomorrow at work. 

Thank you, I'll keep you informed if it works. 

1 Like

yes it's 2 smoothing functions that intersect

You have to play with the planes and create the profiles and guided curves

It's up to you to put the right odds

It's a walkthrough but there is not only one path that leads to Rome ;-) 

You can also optimize the part in surface area by creating x profiles of the mouthpiece

To do this, you just need to have the right odds 

We manage to go much further in the shapes with the surface

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

The mistake is indeed to want to do everything in a single function.
GT22 was right by making 2 smoothings.

2 Likes

Personally, it reminds me a lot of the Solidworks tutorial.

I don't know how to transfer the tutorial to you, but here's a video of someone doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbcnIucJwb0

and attached the base file with the sketches.

In concrete terms, it is a mix of "loft" and "surface-fill" functions

nozzle_01.zip

@ Nicolas are you lost?

Have you studied the bleme?

no news it's sad ;-(

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Meeting on the project with my group of high school students tomorrow, I'll keep you informed. Today I didn't have time to work on it. 

While I'm at it, what would be the best option to make a faucet mold once it's finished? 

2 Likes

Hi @ Nicolas post your new question on another communication thread

It is preferable to find your little ones that each question is independent and unique by subject

it's easier afterwards to find the right  refs

Via the search tool already qu.il doesn't work wonderfully ;-)

Otherwise there is a specific tool on SolidWorks to do this 

See this tutorial among others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQisNogW45w

@+

2 Likes

I will keep you informed of the progress of the project,

We finally managed to model our faucet thanks to your help. The 3D model is finalized, we will make a mold tomorrow and I think I will 3D print it in the evening in order to compare the mold and the tap before the start of the weekend.

I will send you photos once the piece is printed.

Thank you again for your help.

3 Likes

a resolution is required on the + adequate response to the request

It will allow a future poster to find the right shoe for a similar problem

Thank you

@+ ;-)

It's done.

1 Like