Changing the External Reference of a Balanced Part

Hello

I created a derivative part with the "symmetrical part" function, however, I had to change the name of the original file. So in my derivative part, it lost the external reference to the original part. And I wish I could change the external reference to the original part with the new name, but without success yet. I would like to avoid having to regenerate a derivative part.

Hello

Have you tried to rename the original part and then rename the original part using Solidworks Explorer?

When you do this, Solidworks explorer will recreate the links on all the elements related to your part.

1 Like

Hello, otherwise from solid you do "file" "open", you select your symmetrical part and before doing 'open' you click on the reference box and you search for your part with the new name. so he should update it. BUT before you do it, you open your new reference piece.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Hello

the easiest way is to use ludo.mai's solution, SolidWorks explorer.

Otherwise, a small composition to take with you keeps the links between the files, but creates copies to rename.

G.'s solution is also feasible, but we must not forget where the part is once it has been renamed and moved.

1 Like

Hello

I found a solution thanks to G.'s explanation.

Small clarification I am on SW 2015, depending on the versions of SW it may change.

Opening the part in the reference is lost.

In the opening selection panel, click on "References..." "

A small window opens listing all the references.

To change the reference file, double-click on the name of the file you want to edit, and then you go to find the new reference file.

For this to work, the new reference part must be opened.

1 Like