Change the Mass of a Part in Simulation

Hello

I'm currently running on Solidworks 2018 SP4.0 and I'm looking to modify the mass of a part that I represent schematically (an orientation ring) to start a simulation.

To do this, I tried in a test assembly (a flat and a square) to change the mass of the square placed on the flat to see if the constraints change, and surprise, no change, and yet the change in mass is well taken into account (see screenshot attached), even after having remeshed, relaunched the study, recreates a study, etc.

Anyone have an idea for the new mass to be taken into account?

Thank you

Regards

simulation.png

Good evening julien.wunderle

Could post the piece that appears in the picture.

I would like to check the conditions for the imposed movement and also the external loads.

On the other hand, I wonder if there is not an exaggeration in the difference in mass.

I understand that solidworks simu works from the material declared in the model and all the coeffs that go with it (fish etc..) note that I have never ventured to modify the mass in such a proportion directly under Simu.

I assume that you have indeed made this mass modification directly in simulation

To everything'

Hello Zozo,

See attachment.

I deliberately exaggerated the mass of the part to highlight the result that does not change (I often lend myself to this kind of exercise when I test something under simulation), the result does not matter to me.

It's just that it seems logical to me to be able to modify the mass of a part manually, it's so much simpler than changing the type of material and fiddling with the density...

To change the ground, I did it via (in the square piece) tab evaluate -> ground property ->override the ground properties -> replace the ground.

Regards

tests_simu.zip

Hello @julien

Your method works perfectly but under a minimum condition.

1.  After modifying the mass from the "evaluate" function (you have to be in the model). You have toctualize with CTRL + B or the small "red-green" light.
  2.  redo the mesh (indeed part of the calculations are done in the meshing phase) Don't hesitate to make a slightly finer mesh if you have a big foreseeable deformation.
  3. relaunch the study to get the new result.

I also had the defect you point out but it disappears if you do the simple manipulation described above.

@Julien I take this opportunity to thank you for the method you use with the "Evaluate" function which is much simpler as you indicate. I adopt your effective method :-)