Calculation level for the position of industrial draughtsman

Hello 

I am thinking of doing a baccalaureate level training which is called mechanical design technician, I would like to know if in the professional world there are positions of industrial designers where the baccalaureate level is enough, I am thinking especially of mechanical calculations.

Or else are there positions for cartoonists or is there only CAD without calculations?

Or are the mechanical calculations not done by experienced technicians or engineers?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

1 Like

Hello

I would say that it depends on which company you work in...
There are small companies like the one where I work, where we don't need to do crazy calculations, because what we make doesn't require it. But just in case, the head of the design office is a mechanical engineer.

Then there are specialized design offices that can respond to requests from other design offices for complex calculations, if they do not have the skills in-house.
For a company that does metal framing for example, I think that there are people who do the calculations and others who draw... Little hands, let's say, without being pejorative.

And simply for a matter of cost, because in a design office, you need different profiles, you won't pay an engineer to do the plan all day long, if it's up to the level of a technician.

In addition, your training, if it is qualitative, should provide you with the basics of calculations that you may find in your everyday work.

So yes there are positions of cartoonist without too many calculations, the proof, I have one, and I don't even have the baccalaureate. But nowadays, on ads, we often ask for a bac+2 to be sure that the person knows how much to drill for an M8 tap.....

That's just my opinion, I'm not saying it's like that everywhere. I'm just saying it depends on which structure you apply to.

A+

8 Likes

Hello

An engineering title no longer wants to guarantee a flared knowledge every time. (origin of the school and study before, if pure math no experience so be patient with him and give him time to train in your activity and your standards to be respected....... Basically, he must be autonomous and learn from his analyses and understand a path according to his good or false hypotheses, ask the question to one of them on a tap and the value of the associated piercing you may have surprises, not with all of them but ...............

I have a good relationship with the calculation engineers, for the others it's on a case-by-case basis but they are able to provide a procedure and follow it is good already!

We are fortunate today to be able to go through simulation, but attention to the initial conditions and the way in which customers' results are interpreted can be alarmed by a singularity and choose another study that will not be sustainable over time.......

The weakest point in my opinion is and will remain the management of fatigue with bumpy cycles and unconventional uses, without counting the heat parameter, on my side I go through phases in the oven and even^me with this approach the materials remain complicated to manage on welded and bolted assemblies.......... Not easy, have a good day.

2 Likes

To be a cartoonist it's better to be comfortable with maths, but depending on the company where you work, the calculations are so different that it's complicated to answer you. I was a boilermaker welder for 10, I only have a professional baccalaureate in boilermaking and today I am a draftsman, I was taught to do the calculations for the resistance of materials (for railings, pergola posts etc) so no need for an engineer calculation. You have a lot of software today to help you. But here I am only making "simple" standard steel parts such as railings or stairs, nothing mechanical. Find out about the companies that are hiring in your area and what they manufacture.

5 Likes

What is your current education/experience?

To do the calculations I have to do in general, the level of my baccalaureate (F1 of 1988...) is enough for me (to see how the level has evolved for some time...).

Familiar (and simplified) formulas are often applied.
A good foundation in geometry (especially trigonometry) is very useful.

For advanced calculations or those involving a notion of responsibility, it is obvious that it will be an experienced person who will take care of it and his calculation will be proofread by another person.

3 Likes

It all depends on the type of calculation!

Phytagore, bending of a beam, flow of a fluid? There is a gap between each of these stages!

For a designer, it is at least trigonometry calculations, knowing how to use calculation forms and being comfortable with units!
The rest will come with practice, experience, training or studies...

2 Likes

If you're considering a vocational baccalaureate, it's probably because your academic results are a bit tight in 3ème.

If this is not the case and if you do not have any problems at school, I encourage you to pursue a more classical schooling which will allow you in particular to have a correct level in math and physics.

There is also a baccalaureate quite well suited to future draftsmen/designers: STI2D techno baccalaureate . It's more general than a professional baccalaureate, but we're starting to do industrial design and design.

If so, you should know that you can always go on to a BTS if you do a good professional baccalaureate (a priori you don't even need to do a very good professional baccalaureate anymore by the way). The only problem with the professional baccalaureate is that in BTS you may have a lot of trouble in the scientific subjects that will be taught there: math and resistance of materials (this is the case of my son who is currently in the 1st year of BTS after a BAC Pro: he has excellent results in professional subjects and quite bad in theoretical subjects because in practice he has 3 years of delay on those who have done a general baccalaureate and that the BTS teachers are obliged to ensure their program and therefore cannot bring the professional baccalaureates of the class up to speed).

At the level of the diploma at the end of the study, I would say that the BAC+2 is now almost mandatory if you want to be able to evolve in your future career. It is much easier to do 2 additional years of training at 18 than at 40 (with a wife and 2 young children...).

I hope that this reflection will help you in your choice of course.

4 Likes

Hello

I confirm 100% the explanation of @froussel concerning the BacPro + BTS having followed the same path I confirm that the (theoretical) Maths was a real hassle, on the other hand in the case of applied calculations (RDM, physics ...) given that there is a context it is easier to get out of it.

1 Like

Hello

For the modeling part, there is the BTS C.P.I. which would be suitable.