Open 2016 with a 2015

Hello

Could you confirm to me, to my knowledge it is possible with a SolidWorks 2015 ps5 to open a SolidWorks 2016 ps3 ?

May the force be with you

2 Likes

I'm not sure

but I believe that this is no longer possible from SW 2016 

previously it worked ;-(

2 Likes

@gt22,

If I understand correctly they have removed an evolution that consisted of being able to open a future version, too bad to go back:(      

May the force be with you

I am of the same opinion as gt22 but to get around the problem I ask for the STEP and I use feature works which recognizes the functions used in the parts. 9:19 a.m.

2 Likes

Hello

• If you need to change them, the only solution is to request a conversion to Parasolid (be careful to request a version of parasolid that is compatible with SOLIDWORKS 2015). The major disadvantage is that you will partially lose the design history and that you will not find it in 2016 since you will have modified them in the meantime.

(Found on a previous question).

Kind regards

Thank you for your time,

But the problem is more complicated because to simplify our lives we asked an SS dealing man to do our details. So in plain English, I gave him my rooms in 2015, he made my plan, so he converted it in 2016, which means  that I can no longer open my rooms, and his plan is unusable.

I am afraid that I shall have  to announce to him the end of our collaboration.

Hi

Maybe you can transcribe the drawing in DXF  => output scale 1:1, as you can open the drawing... On the other hand the only problem is that it will be more related to your room :/ ... but at least you can open the drawing he provides you:)

Did you say "Simplify life"!? :) Otherwise try to see with your dealer if there is no converter! I would avoid losing so many hours of work!

And as you say so well: "May the force be with you"

1 Like

@Centor,

That's what we ask of him, an SW + PDF and DWG plan. But if I have to make a modification I can't.

so I think it's dead  RIP.

@G good idea

may the force be with you.

You would have to see how the specifications were written (and possibly the state of your relations...).
For me, it's up to the service provider to redo the job.

With us, it is out of the question to change the version of the customer's.
That's why we drag 4-5 versions of SW on the machines (from 2010 to 2015 for now...).

2 Likes

So, faced with the problem encountered, our sss will inquire to reinstall a 2015 version. It's a shame that it's so hard to talk about SolidWorks to Solidworks.

will follow her in the next episode.........

May the Force be with you

3 Likes

This is really the biggest disadvantage of Solidwoks!! We should be able to save in previous version like in Autocad... Let's hope it will happen one day.... 12:17 p.m.

1 Like

There is (was?) no problem installing an earlier version until now. In the office, when a new machine arrives, as far as possible I install in chronological order but as often I don't have time, it's as and when needed.

You just have to be careful with the prototype files: create specific databases for each version.

Hello

If normally possible, see here:

http://blog.cati.com/2015/12/how-to-open-solidworks-2016-files-in-solidworks-2015.html

On the other hand, it's not possible to work on it...

Hello

As a result, @pl I can't open SW 2016 files, I don't have a massage "impossible to open  future version" but nothing happens (except blue bubble that toune), I left the PC running all night but nothing happens.

My processing SS has reinstalled a 2015 version so no more problems.

I tag @stefbeno because he's the closest to the result.

Thank you again for your help.

May the force be with you.

1 Like

However, the aid stipulates that it is possible:

http://help.solidworks.com/2016/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_previous_release_interoperability.htm

Hello Messierus, 

The fact that you can open a later version in the sp5 of the previous version was cancelled this year because there is a rewrite of the SW file formats so it is impossible to do it (by the way@PL it is not written anywhere 2016-> 2015 in the help you put online).

On the other hand, it should come back in 2017->2016SP5.

Moreover, no 3D software allows you to record in an earlier version and this will never be possible in my opinion.

@+

1 Like

@Coyotte: You're telling me that it's not about 2016, it's still the help of SolidWorks 2016!

1 Like

This is a recurring customer request!! At every roadshow I participated in, there was this question in the audience. This request has never been implemented; Technical or rather commercial problem?

3 Likes

Like Ricoh BZH I think it's more of a commercial constraint, every year we are told "the files have been rewritten, that's why patatipatata... "

2 Likes