Open a catia file with solidworks 2018

Hello

Is SW2018 able to open .catpart files? If not, is there another way to open them?

Kind regards

Hello

This is not a choice offered by solidworks in the 2019 version, so also in 2018.

Although here there seems to be a solution, maybe by the launcher

It all depends on whether you want to visualize or work on it.

It is possible to view CGR files (look here, it's well explained)

I suggest you look at this thread where the same need is discussed

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello yes since SW 2018

You must activate under Tools /System Options / Import/  (check Enable 3D Interconnect).

For a CATPart this creates a SW part in which there is an import linked to the CATIA file. (if you change the native CATIA you can update the SW file).

We can break the link with the native CATIA.

For CATProduct you can choose in the options whether or not you want the first level.

(if you want to create a SW assembly that contains the CATIA ASS, or if you want an SW ASS that contains the CATIA components).

In no case do we rebuild the CATIA history under SW.

Edit: With a SW Premium license.

3 Likes

Hello

Thank you franck for the help. I just tried the opening of the catia goes well but on the other hand if I try to import a step containing several solids and then I find myself in front of another problem. Opening the file doesn't work, it tells me that the solid already has a body. In fact when opening I have no other solution than to choose a PART, the ASS template does not appear and suddenly crashes the opening of the file.

I'll have to juggle with the 3D Interconnect activation because by unchecking it the opening of the step with several parts works.

Thank you for your feedback.

1 Like

Yes, that's what you have to activate just to create the SW file associated with the CATIA file.

Once created, these files are usable (even without a Premium license)

1 Like