Parent/child - insert pieces into a room

Hello

In the creation of tooling parts (watchmaking), I frequently use the "Insert / Part" function. All the following functions (extrusions, fillets, drilling, ...) are children of this inserted part. I want to replace the inserted part with another of the same type (duplication of the tooling). 

I can't replace the part, so I insert a new one (upstream in the tree). Then, I want to delete the first one. Unfortunately, all child functions are also removed. 

Is there a solution to my problem?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards Robin

Hello

I am afraid that there is no solution. To my knowledge, this behavior is quite logical (but it's not the one you want!). Indeed, the functions you have created need the references of your inserted part. If you change parts (even if they are almost identical), the ID of the references (face, plane, dimensions,...) are no longer the same.

A tip : If you have parts that always have to fit with the same constraints, think about "Constraint references". I had made a little video about it, it's a bit old but the function is still relevant! 

http://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/astuce-solidworks-reference-de-contrainte-0

Kind regards

4 Likes

Hello

In the open explorer for opening a file there is the option "References..." ". By clicking on it after selecting the file to open, it is possible to change the inserted template.

Thus, the functions will remain present but will be in error due to the change of model (as explained by jmsavoyat ).

If there are no big differences between the parts, the repair will be quick. Otherwise, you will have to arm yourself with a little patience to repair the entities from the inserted model. 

8 Likes

Hello

Thank you for these proposals.

I'm delighted to have discovered the references of constraints, I didn't know. Unfortunately, this is not applicable in this situation.

Regarding the other option, I haven't reached the solution yet, I'll dig into it again.

Kind regards