Loss of reference points

Hello.

It regularly happens, on assemblies with many parts, to find myself with, for example, a front view, completely askew

instead of having my vision flat. I was told quite some time ago that it came from a part of the assembly that was making a mess.

I searched a lot and couldn't find how to easily get my views back to normal.

Thank you and have a good day.

Example of a front view (here with a simple set for the explanation)

2015-06-18_04_01_42-solidworks_premium_2014_x64_edition_-_plan_7-fixation_plate__vis.sldprt.jpg

Hello

It comes from the first piece of your assembly. The reference points of the assembly were modelled on the elements of this part.

To realign the views, not the plans.

Select a face in relation to which you want to position your front view for example. And then right-click and Normal a.

Then press the space bar to bring up the visualization cube. Select the view you want to replace at the bottom . Here is the front view. And press the Replace Views button.

All the views will be aligned with the one you just created. You can do this again if necessary.

In most cases, it is possible to avoid this kind of inconvenience by correctly choosing the origin and position of the plans when creating the pieces. This will be very useful in your assemblies and drawings later on and will save you a lot of time.

See you.

6 Likes

+1 @ remrem

It is the positioning of the first part in the assembly that affects the positioning of the views

Which is quite logical, the f in quotation marks indicates that the first piece is fixed 

it is possible to change the origin of this assembly I have posted a tutorial on the subject see my tutorials

And for the drawings, nothing prohibits putting a normal view on one side

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Hello

Realigning the views is convenient but I see 2 disadvantages:

- with a speedpak the default orientation is restored

- there is a lack of logic: where I work we try to orient the rooms in the same way as on our machines e.g. if you draw a house, in top view (ctrl+5) you will see the roof and in front view (ctrl+1) the front door, why do it differently? If we continue this logic, with the door sub-assembly we will see the door with its handle in front view and not the edge

So, as Remrem says, the best thing to do is to set the position of the pieces correctly at the beginning of the creation.

In addition, it facilitates communication:

-"make you see the front view of your room"

Press Ctrl+1 and the right view is displayed

"Oh no, that's not it!"

Press Ctrl+1,Ctrl+2,Ctrl+3,Ctrl+4,Ctrl+5,Ctrl+6,Ctrl+7 

"You can't orient your pieces properly!$@"

1) Put yourself in the view you want in front view with normal to .

2) Press space.

3) Updating the stardard views.

4) Click on face.

All right!

See this link:

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/French/WhatsNew/t_updating_standard_views.htm

1 Like

Thank you but that's not really what I'm looking for. I know how to orient a view with "Normal to" and with the spacebar to change the views.

"normal to" puts my vision flat. But it remains tilted.

What I want is for it to be parallel or perpendicular to the edge of my work surface again.

Send your assembly with your parts

[edit] What version are you in?

Thank you remrem.

But I can't send this sketch. Not the right.

I'm on Solidworks 2014 Premium.

And by replacing the right view and not the front, it doesn't work?

No. I had the problem again yesterday with an assembly of about ten parts.

I looked at every detail of every part of the assembly. Nothing special or indicated.

I had to remove them all and start from scratch to regain my normal views.

I think this comes from the fact that I am forced to roll views to reach the parts or the features to be constrained between them.

To avoid this as much as possible, I move my view with the direction arrows. Not practical at all, whereas moving with the mouse wheel pressed down is much faster.

To answer in more detail to remrem, if I do "normal to", the view is in front of me, but crooked. (see my photo)

And by doing ALT + arrows to straighten the file, it doesn't work?

Otherwise, send an assembly that is like this, making a composition to take away, and putting only a cube so that we can visualize and that there is no problem of confidentiality!

I tried this from the beginning, of course. To no avail.

It is really a loss of reference points in space.

As for posting a file with this problem here, impossible. I've been struggling for so many months on this problem, when I encounter it, without finding solutions, that I do against bad luck with a good heart, and that each time, I start the whole assembly from scratch.

I say this again. This happens when you roll the views to select the points, lines, or faces of constraints. What for? Mystery and gumball...

I have gotten into the habit, on somewhat complex assemblies, of creating a backup copy regularly, which I call "Backup"

So, in case the problem arises, I go back to the latest version of "backup", which saves me from having to start all over again and waste hours.

But I still find it unfortunate that a function that allows you to put your view back in the basic position does not exist.

It must have happened to others.