Can I save a file from the 2018 version for playback on a 2015 version?

Hello

Export to another format only (xt, step, igs, prefer xt). No compatibility of SW files between versions except n-1 (SP5 of the major version -1 can open files of the higher major version since 2015 if my memory serves me correctly) but they are still dead bodies without a construction arbo.

3 Likes

Be careful, the n-1 would not be valid for all versions!

Yes, not functional on 2015 which cannot open 2016 files. On the other hand put back in place on the 2016 and it seems to me that 2017 SP5 opens SW2018.

Hello

Traditionally, the right reflex as soon as you have a PB with SW especially for esoteric export or import it is advisable to keep under Parasolid *.x_t

Parasolid is the heart of SW let's not forget, and normally new features don't make the core. Well, at least until the 2015 version, it was like that.

After switching to parasolid, reopen the file in the old version. Obviously it has to be someone who is the 2017 or 2018 version who does the manipulation and makes the file available to you so that you can check if you don't pert trien along the way.

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello

If you save your file in STEP and you use the Featurworks function, you will have the creation tree and that way you or the person who will receive the file will be able to use and modify it.

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/french/solidworks/fworks/c_Overview_of_FeatureWorks.htm

2 Likes

Hello 

A little more information about this position:

- The highest SP5.0 version of the previous version (2020 for example) is able to open (but not edit) the files of the higher version (2021 for example);

- There seem to be software (BackWorks) that claim to ensure backward compatibility, but I haven't tested it yet. 

Have a nice day