Aluminum castings

Hello

I made a machined part in aluminum, and my client asked me if we could cast it.... and I don't know anything about it

Do you have any explanations or sources allowing me to make the part so that it is given to a foundry for the realization of the mold. 

1 Like

Hi @ Gerald

already from the configuration of your room know if it is possible

a mold with a male and female part with drawers 

so if your client asks you that he will try to make a good series

@+................

It is the idea of producing a large number of pieces.

I have already made a large aluminum part like this and we took the casting part, we machined it to obtain the final part.

But here I am in front of a small part that in machining is done well. but requires a lot of surgery.

Moulding would make it possible to make a symmetrical part, to which the machining would give its "meaning" and function.

What I'm looking for is the possible angle or leave. In machining, we go so far as to make a tool to remove material in a certain way. 

For you who know a little about my gt22 work, it would be the realization of the cup of the headphone project. 

1 Like

in angle you can everything on leave ditto

The only problem is the removal of the male and female parts from the mold

I would have given you links to tutorials that I posted but it's so hard and long that I give up

@..................

Hello

The simplest thing would be for you to ask a foundry maker what he thinks about it?

Afterwards, if the part is feasible in a foundry, you will need to have a mold made with drafts and different fittings specific to the foundry, depending on the complexity of the part. Be careful to take into account the shrinkage for the making of the mold, it is related to the melted matter.

I sometimes work with foundries, with the idea I send them my part in CAD, they validate or not the feasibility, I then send my finished CAD part to a modeler who takes care of making the model or the mold according to the requirements related to the manufacturing method, of the type of foundry and the material.

3 Likes

@gt22 yes I know it's so much trouble that I ask the question not having found a tutorial. 

@hospital.Quentin yes it's a way of doing things but when you've never worked with a foundry and it's a hypothetical project on the feasibility it displeases me to be sent to the roses.... to be polite.

2 Likes

look at this tutorial among other things it's not aluminum but it's fun

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/preparation-des-pieces-pour-creer-un-moule

@+ ......

2 Likes

Hello

First of all, you need to know if the piece is going to be made in a sand mold or a shell mold.

Then, during the design, it is imperative to remove all sharp edges by fillets. The radii vary but going for 1 mm minimum is not bad (I try to put 2 everywhere to be sure).

For the remains, again in general, you have to start with a minimum of 3°. It's huge but we're not on plastic.

That's it for the 2 - 3 bases.

Position your parting line well, check your drafts and edges and the founder will tell you more at that time.

2 Likes