Driving a Total Length Composed of Line and Arc in Solidworks

Hi all

I can't solve a small problem in the sketch mode in solidworks.

In the sketch, I have a sketch consisting of a line and an arc. One end is fixed. I don't want length and radius sides but rather a total length that will freeze the length of the line and the radius of the arc (there is a tangent constraint). Basically, I want to set up and therefore control the total length.

How to do it.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Hello

Since SolidWOrks 2012, it is possible to dimension an arc length:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Video_Dimensioning_Arc_Length.htm

So just create this odds as above, and create an equation with the sum of the 2 (or 3) odds.

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for this beginning of help. On the other hand, I can't create an equation that says that the sum of the 2 odds (line + arc) is equal to 180 for example. Can you help me?

thank you in advance

1 Like

Here is a possible solution

test_equation.zip
2 Likes

Nothing better than such a clear example...

1 Like

Hello

Under Pro/E, I have the possibility to put a perimeter dimension that calculates the length of the chain by itself.

It is simply necessary to give it a variable element driven by this perimeter dimension.

It's surprising that we don't find something similar under Solidworks.

Otherwise, for your application, you need 3 sides and not 2: Length of the line, radius and a 3rd dimension which is the position of the end point or 180° arc etc....

S.B

For the equations, the dimensions must be existing and controlled.

Then, you have to create the equation by clicking on each of the dimensions.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_working_with_equations.htm

Thank you Lucas P. for the links. I was able to do what I wanted.

Cdt

1 Like

Hello

A new feature for 2014 allows the total length of several entities to be dimensioned directly with the dimensioning tools.

The control can be found in Smart Dimensioning > Path Length Dimension.

Manon

3 Likes