2D Plane in 3D Space

Hello, my boss asked me to give him 3D plans but he has no idea how to create 3D, so for him, it's easy and you can do 3D draft...

Anyway, so he asked me to bring him, for tomorrow evening, a 3D network, implemented on 2D plans... Basically, we have building plans on Autocad, a 3-level building, and he would like me to superimpose the 3 plans in a 3D space by passing them from the real height between each level, and that I draw a network of ducts in 3D that goes on the plans by making descents between each plane... How would you do it? Do you think it's easy to do?

Because I've never seen that, personally... I tried to import the Autocad plans into a 2D sketch but hey... As you can imagine, 3/4 of my plans disappeared when imported...

1 Like

Hello

if you lose 3/4 of your 2D views, I don't see a simple solution.

If you manage not to lose anything and if you only have the walls and posts of the building on these views, rebuild it into a 3D piece or more simply into 3 3D pieces, one for each level you stack.

To build 3D from DXF, you just have to import as you did in a sketch and extrude (often after reworking because there are often overlapping lines or open sketches and solidworks doesn't like that...)

1 Like

Well, in fact, he doesn't want me to take the building out in 3D, precisely, he'd like me to leave the building in 2D, superimposing the different levels and drawing in 3D on it... Just now, I just got to export my entire building but hey... It doesn't render anything, because when I draw in 3D, inevitably, the plans I imported are sketch entities and you can see them through the 3D I have drawn, so you can't find your way around at all...

CF IMAGE, to give an overview, the 3D entities you see are at level 2...

I'm looking for ideas to make it look good... Because there... It's really ugly. Like an option so that my sketches don't show through the 3D entities that are in front of them...

2ddans3d.png

For my part, I will save several cleaned plans to come out with sketches that I will superimpose as extruded... (the real draft mode)

I had done it like this for an American machine but pay attention to your unit configuration for the import. I ended up with pieces on the inch side in mm. It immediately looks very big.

Apart from the 3D building, I don't see...

Maybe by giving it a transparent look, your boss will accept 3D...?

I went to see my boss to tell him that it was really a stupid idea to do this, I showed him what I had started to do, he admitted that it was really ugly^^

So I'm going to trace the networks in 3D and reimplement them in autocad afterwards, just to show a little 3D to the customer...

It's going to be a bit of a hassle but hey... I should be able to get something out by tomorrow night^^

Especially since it's an architect who made the plans, I have nothing against the archis but hey, rating a plan sometimes in mm, sometimes in cm and sometimes in m, it's a bit borderline :-/

In short, thank you for taking the time to answer!