Precise positioning of a view sequence

Hi all

I'm trying to flatten a cylindrical piece of equipment (on a plane) by retrieving views (like photos) every X degrees of my 3D (by rotating around it).
So that with all the views taken on the 3D I can make a kind of mosaic of the views (as if we were gluing pieces of paper after the sheet has been passed through a shredder).
The problem I encounter is in the positioning between each view in order to obtain a general flat plan of my equipment.
I looked everywhere on the forums and it seems to me that there is no simple solution to set up one view in relation to another with a dimension.
We can align according to the origin or the center but not according to a distance.
Does anyone have a solution other than creating a maccro (which will automatically position the views)?
I know that it is possible to create a line in the plan to adjust by hand but what I am looking for is a precise or even configurable method.
If I'm not clear I can explain again =) .

Hello

Basically, you will come to have a panoramic view of your assembly???

It seems to me that it is not feasible without macro or other add-on ...

Isn't it feasible with a camera and a motion study?

Hello

As for the distance problem I half found a solution, since the other one I was thinking of changes the zoom and the normal one every time.

You put yourself in profile view of your cylinder and then use the up/down key of your keyboard, it takes 6 strokes to do 90° (I didn't find or change the increment, for the sides but not the keys).

Each time you "shift" you create a personal view. V1 V2 V3.... And the zoom doesn't change and still well oriented. (if you want to rate you don't forget to check the type of true odds)

The only problem is that in the layout you will have for each view the whole room and therefore you can't "assemble" them to make a panorama for example (if we understood the idea correctly.)

As you can see on my model I created a 2nd volume hoping to be able to use the flat faces of the "gismo" to make x increment but it doesn't work, because the zoom changes, the normal changes direction as it sees fit, I even thought that the zoom effect was due to the planes that protruded but no....

As for assembling each view to form more than one, you would have to cut your cylinder into slices for each view. but it will always give something approximate once put end to end. (it all depends on the increment chosen which is for the moment fixed)

If you have an existing example of what you are looking for we are takers.

A picture is worth a chapter of blah blah;) and avoid off-topic.

Edit: a little idea after validation of the post, pan an orange by standing up each quarter of the orange and take a picture of it. Of course, the bigger the neighborhoods, the more the bulging effect and the finer it is, the closer we will be to reality.

(Hoping to be understood XD ... but SHHH)

Kind regards

vues_mulitple_mep.png

I don't know if with the camera you can get a flat image of the assembly in 360° view

It's a rotary scanner that you need actually, I was thinking of using the smartphone's panoramic but it's a completely stupid idea. (which I dare to share lol)

Otherwise see if your part can be converted into sheet metal and make a scroll

Hello

A solution that is commonly used is to do texturing with a MODO 901 type software.
I say modo, because it is compatible with SW, indeed the photoview360 software was a light version of MODO Luxologie (Foundry), now replaced by Bunkspeed (aka Vizualize).

Ask the question on the Foundry or Zbrush forums.

Making a "cut" with an unclosed circular sketch should work.

@FUZ3D: to adjust the rotation increment on the keyboard it's in the system/view option

So thank you for sharing so many solutions.
For the subject, I will provide more details.
Unfortunately, I can't share with you the assembly I'm trying to "unfold" because it's a sensitive subject so no photos to offer you.
Nevertheless, it is an assembly of elements fixed together forming a belt around a large cylindrical object (we are talking about tens of meters).
So around this object we will find several belts that completely cover the cylindrical object (this is in the field of thermal insulation "index" xD).
So in your answers, the closest thing to what I'm looking for is indeed a method to scan an assembly by turning around it.
I hope I helped you with this description.

1 Like

@stefbeno Thank you very much;)

@Psyno thank you for your info.

Indeed 10m is not small.

What is the purpose of your manipulation? just have a flat view of a 3D SW part (in increments of x°) or have a real flat view and take dimensions?

If this is the 1st case now that we know where to find the increment with the arrows of the keyboard, you still have to cut your volume into a card and isolate each of them for each custom view. (very long depending on your increment)

Moreover, to reduce the bulging effect on the MEP, it is to stay in wired mode.

If I have a little time I'll do a test (the most annoying thing is to invent a part but I have my own idea;))

In the end, it is not an arc but a polygonal sketch that works.
So easy to set up in relation to the geometry.

Attached is an example made in SW15.

piece2.zip
1 Like

Well, it all depends on what you're trying to do. Because this has nothing to do with what you ask for in your 1st post.

Unfolding an existing part or doing a machining that you "wind" on a cylinder, in this case there is the winding function that exists and that I used in my example below.

In my case a groove with a variable shape that I cut into pieces.

On the other hand, to cut you have to make different configurations to isolate and memorize them.

I cheated a bit by cutting into 6 parts but only doing 3 configs (see example confi 1 which has a piece and its opposite)

On the other hand, you have to save 6 personal views

After that, don't mess up in the MEP for the order and the activation of the configs

I purposely left 3 solid shots for the bulging effect I was talking about.

Here's the roll up feature that I used.

You can choose if it's a material removal or extrusion or just a cut.

vues_mulitple_mep3.png

Your room 2 is empty  for me;) Have you thought about recording it before making a composition to go?

I will explain my current approach to making this unfolded assembly of parts around a cylindrical equipment.

To start with, I made a 3D sketch to position planes via this sketch every 1°. By giving a name for each plan and sketch example: plan 1, sketch 1.

This allows me to save a front view of each plane in the assembly (naming the views the same way: sketch 1 => plane 1 => view 1).

Then I created a MEP where I insert views of the overall assembly and where I crop the views thanks to a sketch that is attached to the sketch that corresponds to it, example: Sketch 1 crops view 1 and so on for the 360 views...

So I get 360 views of the assembly which gives a glimpse of only 1° of the assembly, all positioned in relation to their origin vertically but if I position them horizontally in relation to the origin as each view has an identical origin, my views are superimposed.

Hence my question from post 1, can we set one view in relation to another so that I can position the views to each other and get a flat view of the entire circumference of my overall assembly?

I hope I have given you more precision by explaining my current approach.
Now, I think there may be another way to get this result based on your answers.

I think that the circular scan with a SW camera could perhaps achieve what I need but is it possible?

For the plan to be obtained, I will need to indicate the degrees as well as notes that would hang on the different parts so that the assemblers on site can easily position this or that part.

To your keyboards! =D