Stress continuity problem at intersections

Hi all

I modeled in 2D in SolidWorks a part with many intersections/T-zones. To be sure that the mesh is done node by node, I have created separation lines along the coincidence zone as recommended on many forums to avoid constraint errors.

Except when I get my simulation results, I have no constraint continuity in these areas.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem ?

PS: Attached is an example of an intersection area and the resulting constraint results. I display my results of the constraint field in the elements.

capture4.png

Hello

At first, did you try to display the deformation of the part (even if it meant putting a strong amplification of the results) to check that there is no discontinuity between the surfaces?

Hello

Is it a multi-body piece?

1 Like

Hello

What happens if you don't use a dividing line?

Sometimes the definition of stresses in uneven geometric areas is very complicated, we have a lot of stress concentrations that can locally plasticize your material. The problem is that normally your calculations are done in the elastic domain.

Dimitri

2 Likes

Hello everyone and thank you for your proposals,

So yes, it is indeed a multi-body piece, but in this case it is the intersection of the hulls that causes me problems. It is a dam valve in the shape of a box. The thickness of the sheets being 8 mm, I modeled in 2D and therefore meshed in shells, with the exception of the beams.

As far as the deformation is concerned, the color continuity is present locally, unlike the case of the display of constraints.

Results without a separation line also have stress/color discontinuity.

I have since tried to refine locally but no change.

Here is a more general overview of my geometry and constraint results.

resultats.png

Here are the results of the deformation with the plating

deformee.png

And the deformed without the plating

deformee2.png

Your results don't look shocking.

2 Likes