Problem of recalcitrant unfolded sheet metal

Hello friends

I was waiting until I was retired to create Kinetic Sculpture models (a bit like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVs8zQzQR0).

So for this strictly personal project called "waterfall without water" I have a very simple piece but it doesn't want to go flat in its entirety (glups!)

The problem is located on the Boss-extru 8 sketch.
I could get away with it by doing otherwise but a chtit' explanation on that that I don't care about it would be nice.

SW 2022

To pluche
Tôle_de_base_-V1_2024[1]. SLDPRT (257.9 KB)

2 Likes

Hello @Zozo_mp ,
Good to see you again on the forum.
For me, 2 things are wrong with your coin:

• Boss-extru 8 with a different thickness of the base plate, SW doesn't like it too much.
    - the removal of material before conversion into sheet metal work?!? don't understand...

I would have done like this:
a direct fold and if necessary you touch up the sketches of the fold to ensure your notching.
Here is the file in 2022 version made with the 2024...
Tôle_de_base_-V1_2024[1]-a.eriaud.SLDPRT (207.7 KB)

Good luck and see you...

2 Likes

Hello @Zozo_mp, why not go straight to sheet metal? The fact of starting with an extrusion and then a conversion to sheet metal complicates the thing for the developed. :wink:

3 Likes

Hello,
Cool retirement :joy:
To be able to unfold your thing you just have to add straight lengths after your extrud 1 at each end, then do your conversion to sheet metal.
For your information, no machine can end up on a sheet metal rounding. You need an extra length in rolling and a straight part in crunching.

On the other hand, everyone is right, your design is not great, not great!! Going directly with the sheet metal module would have removed a lot of sketches and other inconveniences.

To go!
Courage, it's almost the end of your apprenticeship!
Fair winds

1 Like

Mr. (Master) @Zozo_mp :grinning: !! Glad to see you again / reread (really let anyone in here... :grin:)
I like the previous comments: The heterogeneous thicknesses, Solidworks doesn't like it!

I don't know the equipment at your disposal but you will need a metal sheet
.472.15 x 235 x 1mm... and a big hammer.
(this is the first time that the has tested the flattening of a surface ... it's not bad at all this function...).

1 Like

yes, that's a solution but I doubt the accuracy of the unfolded, and how come the capable rectangle is smaller than the unfolded?

1 Like

The capable rectangle is probably that of the unfolded Sheet Metal (the radiated areas have remained ... radiated).
At the Flat Surface quotation: length Vs Perimeter the difference is 0.002mm, it remains reasonable for this type of realization.
But, yes, this type of review is to be reserved for " information only ". :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @Zozo_mp .

If it can help you, my parameters used on your part during the transformation into sheet metal work in order to be able to unfold

1 Like

With the sheet metal module, if you want to make a bend with a radius of 50 for example, you will need a higher value of the length of the folded sheet. Value to be adjusted according to the V you will use on the press brake, of course if you want your part to be feasible!! :wink:

2 Likes

Hello @a.eriaud
Well done for the thickness error.
In reality I made a stupider mistake because instead of doing the method like a dad. We draw everything flat and we make the folds after I wanted to do it in direct 3D and bam, I made a mistake that I'll talk about later with a new part.

Thank you

Hi @M-Scofield

Agree with you I always worked flat and did the folds afterwards and then I wanted to play it modern and I embossed myself.

I redo the play with the taking into account of all the remarks of colleagues

See you later

1 Like

Thank you Maclane

I redo the piece and show you again :smiley:

To pluche

Thank you, my dear @coin37coin

I'll redo the play and I'll get back to you

To everything'

hello @Le_Bidule
I redo the piece without rounding, it will be easier.
I post the new part quickly.

To Plutarch

Hello Zozo
Starting from your part, without changing the way you build it, you add a removal of the initial volume to leave only the sheet metal.